A Surprise of Warmth

Start from the beginning

Reaching his left hand up to one of the higher branches, he ran his fingers gently across one of the leaves. "Yes, it has to be. I've never felt such a feeling before. It's like I'm gaining life that I never had before, and I can feel it coursing through my body. It's incredible."

"We'll need a container to bottle it and to bring some back home with us. I lost my things back in Alpontus's room."

"We can use one of the containers in my pack and empty it out. Still, the tree's effects seem to only extend out a little distance from it. Otherwise, it would be in all of the water supply. Then, we wouldn't have had to come all the way up here." A sigh escaped him, but a peaceful smile remained on his lips. The tree was too comforting to be around.

"Do you think that the authors will attack us in here?" she questioned, but she couldn't feel concern at the present time. Tarhuinn pulled out a medium-sized, metal container and handed some of the dried cherries to her. He took the rest of them, and they aided their hunger for a bit. "Surely, you've noticed the obvious effects of this tree. I don't think that a fight would be possible in here."

"Agreed, but we should still be on guard even though that seems so ridiculous right now." He crouched down and filled the container. "If they weren't presumably nearby, I'd ask you to take a bath with me here."

Heat dominated her cheeks, and she had to glance away for a moment. Honestly, it didn't sound like a bad idea, and she was tempted to accept the offer regardless of how close the authors were. It was hard to hold onto reason with the soothing effects of the tree. Her right hand wrapped around her left wrist as she bit her lower lip. Quietly, she commented, "We can take a bath when we get back home."

Sealing the container and standing, he stored the valuable water away in his pack before he looked to her. He stepped closer to her as his right fingers glided to rest under her chin. Tarhuinn turned her gaze to his and met her lips with his. It was a short kiss, but when it ended, his lips remained near to hers. "I would like that."

It was evident that he had wanted to add that nickname to the end, but he had resisted. She couldn't be useless in fighting even with the tree's effects urging them to continue their affections. (F/n) desired to have him say it for once, and she had nearly asked him to do so. Her hands clenched his shirt as she forced herself to mutter, "We should leave now. Otherwise, I don't think that we'll be able to do so."

His lips pressed to her forehead. "You're right, but I'll carry you out. You look like you're about to collapse, and I didn't even call you by that name." A light chuckle left his lips, and his breath tickled her skin a little.

Out of embarrassment, a pout formed on her lips, but she couldn't deny it. Nor, did she mind him carrying her. "Let's go, Tarhuinn. You're making it worse." Another chuckle left his lips before he lifted her up and started to head away from the tree. He walked slowly away, and she couldn't blame him. She desired to stay longer as well, but they had to face what was back out there. Unfortunately, the tree was a dead end but a pleasant one. They had some time to themselves before having to face the authors again, and they were no longer cold, though; that didn't last long.

They could easily tell when they were out of the tree's range. Worry plagued her mind once more as did fear. The vexation returned as well. It didn't help that she felt the chill of the air again. Up ahead, they could hear movement in the water. Tarhuinn stopped and set her down. She could still see somewhat since a little bit of light from the tree reached their location. Out ahead of them, though, it was completely dark.

He unsheathed a dagger from his belt and passed it to her. No words were exchanged; no advice was given. She knew what she had to do, and Tarhuinn understood that. It was fight or be killed. Her grip tightened on the blade's handle, and she positioned herself in a fighting stance. (F/n) took a deep breath in and let it out.

Splashes grew louder, and she could steadily see the outline of an individual. When they came closer, she didn't recognize them, but she instinctively took a step back. They weren't running but simply walking. Each step was powerful, though, and the kelremm wore a smirk on their lips. No weapons were on them. Sky-blue eyes observed them both while straight, chest-length hair rested upon their head.

"It's been awhile since we've had unwanted guests. And, it's a first to have them invade my father's friend's room and then mine. Still, you should've accepted Phyon's offer," his gaze pinned itself on Tarhuinn. "Now, you're going to die quite steadily. I think that you'll be alive for another week. It might be longer depending on how Phyon feels. He's quite enraged at the moment, though."

About to charge at him, Tarhuinn was pulled back by (f/n). "Wait," she whispered to him. She moved him back a bit more with her, and he didn't put up much resistance, but it was clear that he would attack as soon as she let go.

The kelremm stopped and placed their hands in their pants' pockets. His gaze shifted over to her. "As for you, you're in for quite a time. Phyon has no intention of letting you die any time soon, but I won't spoil his plans. He probably wishes to tell you them himself." He removed his hands from his pockets and looked to them both. "Since I can't kill either of you, I'll have to hold myself back a little, but it'll hurt still." When the kelremm opened the palm of his right hand, (f/n) released her grip on Tarhuinn, and the gleam of a blade was all she saw before it went flying past.