Chapter 6: The Test

Start from the beginning

He moved closer to the glass.

(Polpo)"And that's trust! When one has to choose from a list of candidates, the most important element to note is trust. This test is about measuring your trustworthiness, using these lighter's flames! Take them, and don't let the flames die..."

The gold lighter that he was holding suddenly appeared on a slot on the door without Polpo putting there. Giorno was confused, but went to grab the lighter.

(Polpo)"Woah! Be careful not to let the light go out. A seventeenth century historian by the name of Fuller once said. He's my friend that speaks well of me behind my back. In order to enter our organization, you two have to your trustworthiness, even when others aren't looking. If you pass the test, then I'll accept you both into the gang. But! If you take me and the test lightly, then you'll allow a number of careless accidents to occur. And that would prove to me that you are untrustworthy! This is your test, now take the lighter into your hands!"

Giorno carefully grabbed the lighter with both hands.

(Polpo)"Return here tomorrow at 3 p.m."

The two left the cell, and heard the guards nearby.

(Gaurd)"After passing the gate, the visitor will stand by for another body check!"

Giorno had to think fast, and he decided to hide the lit lighter in his closed hand. He didn't see where Kaito his his, but it didn't matter. The gaurd checked Giorno first, and asked him to open his hand. He slowly opened it, and revealed a flower. The guards let it slide, and checked Kaito. They didn't find the lighter, and let them leave.

(Kaito)"So, you turned it into a flower?"

The center of the flower had smoke coming out, and it turned back into the lighter.

(Giorno)"Yes, and I covered the flame with the petals. Where's yours?"

Victim of Reality appeared, and opened his mouth, then stuck his tongue out with the lighter still lit on it. Kaito grabbed the lighter.

(Kaito)"My stand can do many things. One of them being able to hide anything."

(Giorno)"So that's how you got it from Polpo?"

(Kaito)"Yep, Victim of Reality grabbed the lighter when he was looking at you, then he phased it through the wall and gave it to me behind my back."

(Giorno)"What can your stand not do?"

(Kaito)"...It can't...not do anything. I haven't been in a situation that he couldn't get us out of."

(Giorno)"Well, this test should be easy for you."

About an hour later, Giorno and Kaito arrived at Giorno's school. Giorno covered his lighter so that the air won't put it out. Giorno noticed that Kaito wasn't covering his.

(Giorno)"It's very windy out here, why aren't you covering yours?"

(Kaito)"There's a saying that I live by, if you worry about something bad happening, it's going to happen. If you stay calm and don't panic about the flame going out, then the flame won't go out."

Right after he said that, some water fell on Giorno's lighter, putting out the flame.

(Kaito)"...Well, this is an issue."

Giorno began to panic. What was he going to do? Should he go back to Polpo and ask for a second try? No, if he was that generous, him and Kaito wouldn't need this test!

(Giorno)"The flame! I can't believe it! It's only been an hour!"

(???)"The flame?"

The two looked over to the school janitor, he was a small, elderly man with a red shirt, hat, and blue overalls. He reminded Kaito of a video game character that Reo would always talk about.