The birth of a star

September, seven, 1930, at the castle Stuyvenberg.

Night silence meant that there was a relaxed atmosphere on the country Belgium. The inhabitants of this small, but sometimes lively country was sleeping peacefully with in their mind the news of the birth of their future king, Prince Baudouin Albert Charles Leopold Axel Marie Gustaaf of Belgium, son of King Leopold III of Belgium and Princess Astrid of Sweden. With this news in mind Belgium went to meet the night. Some had clinked glasses to this and were effective in party mood, others were kept rather sober, but in any case was a welcomed atmosphere across the country.

Over the days, that atmosphere changed little. One week later, when the prince was baptized, the joyful atmosphere was revived and it seemed like the whole country partied. It was only after a few weeks the crowds in the streets became less visible and everyday life was resumed.

However, the royal family itself was still busy. It was a constant coming and going of state visitors: Royal Houses and Presidents of neighboring countries, but also from other places who came to visit the new crown prince, while congratulated the king and queen with the birth of their first child.

Due to all these visitors, both the little prince as the brand new mom and dad, were exhausted every evening and were glad that peace and quietness came back in the evening. On the seventh day the king and queen of neighboring country; Netherlands, Queen Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria of the Family Orange-Nassau and King Henry of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, came along to meet the heir of neighboring Belgium.

They were very enthusiast and had a beautiful gift to the Crown Prince which was also a delight to king Leopold and Princess Astrid because with this gift an alliance between the two countries was sealed.

Prince Baudouin made it all up close, though he was too young to realize it at the moment, but he would come to know very soon. He was a very smart kid and learned a lot at a young age. So fast that sometimes for King Leopold and Princess Astrid it seemed as if he was much older than originally.

At a young age he joined the scouts and guides where he made many friends, including Antonio, a boy whose parents were of Italian descent, whom he met at a camp where several scouts were present. The boys he had met came at the castle to accompany him and to play together in the gardens of Laken.

Yet this young prince was also not spared from misery. At age five he already came in touch with a serious drama for the first time, when his mother, Princess Astrid, died in a fatal car accident in Küssnacht, Switzerland. That led to both him and his brother Prince Albert, who was only one year old at the time, caused a huge shock. From this fatal day they were raised by their father, albeit with the help of the servants of the royal palace. For both their mother's death had a huge impact on their lives, because at such a young age to lose your mother is something that you'll remember long life. Every time she saw a picture of their mother came to them with tears in their eyes.

Overall they both had a very difficult childhood, even though they were the princes of the country Belgium. Fortunately they had each other and their friends who supported them, like the royal family. They were both very grateful.

In the years that followed, they grew up in intimate circles. They had private lessons at the palace, and Baudouin often studied late into the night. Furthermore, many ceremonial duties came to their hands, like cutting ribbons at inaugurations of important monuments or public places.