Chapter Twelve

There was no doubt now that Vittorio Caito, Duke of Ferrara, had to die.

 Rebekah had been fond of him. In fact, some of that feeling was still nestled inside her. However, she could not let this man continue to live. She knew now what kind of man Vittorio was, and she couldn't leave that part of the country without making sure he would never hurt another woman again.

 Vittorio had such a low opinion of women that he simply thought he could do whatever he wanted to the women in his life: murder Francesca, terrify Lucrezia, deceive Rebekah. What would he do to this new wife he planned to bring into his home? What would her fate be? Deception? Terror? Murder?

 When Rebekah went to see him that night, she knew he had to be either planning to scare her into keeping quiet, or he was planning on simply murdering her. Oh, how narrow-minded that man was, she thought. He couldn't see anything past his own arrogance.

 If Vittorio were more observant, he would know there was much more to Rebekah Mikaelson than 'an intelligent whore', as he had put it. She happened to a vampire, an immortal who was over four hundred years old. Perhaps if he were more observant around her, he would know just what kind of woman he was. He had only sensed her weaknesses; that was what he had preyed upon. He didn't know her strength, mainly that she was physically stronger than he, and could murder him instantly.

 When she went to see him that night, she was going to kill him. Then she would go to her brothers and tell them everything, and they could all leave together, hopefully to somewhere better than that place. She thought about telling her brothers sooner, but then she decided it would be best to leave them out of it until the deed was done. It would be easier for her that way.

 When night fell, she pretended to go to bed and said goodnight to her brothers.

 "You won't be going to the duke's bed tonight?" Kol teased.

 Rebekah simply shook her head and replied, "Not tonight."

 Rebekah lay stretched out across her bed, fully dressed, waiting for the time to make her move. She listened to the activity in the rest of the house for a long time, until she was sure everyone was in bed.

 When the time came, Rebekah grabbed her knife and slipped out into the hall, making her way toward Vittorio's bedchamber.

 She knew she would pass Lucrezia's room on her way to Vittorio's bedchamber. Anxious to check on the girl, she tried her bet to open the door without making any noise. It seemed, however, that she didn't have to: Lucrezia was awake. She was sitting up in bed, leafing through the pages of Francesca's journal.

 "Rebekah." She closed the book. "Has something happened?"

 "Happened? No, not at all. I simply wanted to see how you are. You were very upset when I saw you today."

 "Yes, I know. But I have recovered and am well now."

 Rebekah smiled. "Well, if you say so. Goodnight, Lucrezia."

 She nodded. "Goodnight, Rebekah."

 Rebekah was happy to know the girl was all right after the way her brother had acted towards her. The poor thing hadn't even done anything to deserve that kind of treatment. Rebekah had always wanted a little sister; if that girl were her little sister, she would have anything she could to take care of her and keep her safe.

 Rebekah didn't falter when she finally reached the duke's bedchamber. She simply opened the door and walked in-and had to choke down a cry at what she saw.

 Vittorio Caito lay dead on the floor. A knife lay nearby on the floor, and the body was lying in a pool of blood. His eyes were still open, his face was contorted enough that it was disturbing to look at at all.

 Rebekah inched closer to examine the body. It looked as if someone had stabbed him in the chest multiple times, and then thrown the knife on the ground and run off.

 After looking at it for a minute or two, Rebekah walked out of the room, went back to her own, undressed and got into bed.

 It seemed she didn't have to spill any blood that night after all, and she silently thanked whoever had done the deed for her.