Chapter Four; Is That The T-Rex?

I loved writing this chapter so I hope you guys enjoy it!

I'm almost back from vacation now so I want to update regularly, but I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed real soon so.. ah.

Wish me luck and enjoy.

-

Once we finally landed and stopped fully, the first thing that grabbed my attention was the palpable tension in the air. None of us said anything as we stepped off the plane. I looked up and my eyes caught the massive cloud of smoke coming off of the large volcanic mountain, a low rumble evident in the ground. The heat was extreme and I took off my jacket, throwing it into my backpack, which Owen kindly took for me. Around us were groups of men in large trucks, running around shouting indistinct orders and carrying around weapons. Owen and I shared a look and he leaned into my ear.

"Reminds me of the army," He whispered, making me nod.

We were quickly greeted by an older gentlemen wearing sunglasses, who, if I'm being honest, gave me a really weird vibe. He was already talking to Claire once we approached him.

"So, did you get the uh... raptor wranglers?" He asked, looking around until Owen and I stepped in front of him, seeming a little ticked off by the dude's comment.

"Animal behaviours, Owen Grady," Owen stuck out his hand, which the guy reciprocated. He then turned to me and I shook my head, putting my hands in my pockets, resulting in a confused glare from him.

"Sky Grant, and it's not raptor wrangler, thank you very much," I said, fully knowing it came off snarky and rude, but whatever, "We didn't 'wrangle' the raptors. We created a bond - a trust."

"Well, apologies, Ms Grant. I'm Ken Wheatley," He shot me a weird smile, before I took my hands out of my pockets and crossed my arms.

"And you're... what? A great white hunter?" I asked, causing Ken to laugh and take off his sunglasses. I know he was here to help, but something about this guy gave me a really bad feeling, and I know Owen felt it too because I could see how tense he was standing. Half of his body stood between Ken and I in the defensive mode he's used quite often before.

Ken laughed and looked around, "I'm the expedition facilitator."

From beside us, I heard Franklin let out a grunt, and I looked over to see him taking off his jacket, "Oh, god, it's hot!" He looked so uncomfortable and I couldn't help but giggle. I can imagine this isn't the ideal situation for newbies, really. It's hot, there are dinosaurs on the loose, and we've got an angry mountain ready to spit.

"Doesn't help that there's a lava storm about to happen, eh?" I winked, causing Franklin's eyes to go wide as he eyed the volcano in the distance, "It's about to get a whole lot hotter."

Owen followed my gaze as we both stared at the massive smoke cloud getting bigger and bigger by the second. You could practically smell the heat and density in the air, which only tripled my currently anxious mind.

I could only hope to get these animals safe and sound before anything went horribly wrong.

-

Not long after, we were escorted into massive vehicles, which all headed off in the same direction. We were shoved in the back, which was unfortunate due to the fact that it was so gross and warm, I wanted to crack open some kind of window, but I couldn't. I was sitting between Owen and Claire and the bumps in the uneven dirt roads caused me to constantly tip over on them, apologizing each time.

Zia rolled her eyes as Franklin pulled out a little spray bottle - which I assumed was bug spray - and started spraying his arms, leaving no spot un touched. After he finished, he asked around if anyone wanted any and I could see Owen stifle a laugh, causing me to do the same.