Ch. 4.1 Shirts And Wings

Start from the beginning

"You shouldn't believe the Great Golden Prude," Rile said. "It's simply an expression of trust."

Alex peeked over her arm. "You're kidding."

"I'm not kidding. You know what a stiff Gabe is."

"Yeah, well, put on the shirt. I'll get shot watching either your gorgeous wings or equally gorgeous chest and you'll feel guilty."

Rile folded his wings and put on the shirt, grinning that Alex watched him.

Cale ended the call and looked around at the empty practice room. Cale never cursed, but he came close this time. Those two were like naughty children slipping away. He would patrol Dr. Dewey's neighborhood tonight like they were supposed to.

*****

Rile and Alex were far outside the patrol area, in Alex's favorite place: a dark and grubby New Orleans alley. Alex had successfully lured a pimp in and now Rile was pounding him.

"Rile, you have to watch out for the female of the pair," Alex chided as she grabbed the woman's wrist and broke her grip on the glass bottle.

"What?" Rile looked over his shoulder in time to see the bottle drop. "But we're rescuing her. You said she was a prostitute."

"Yes, and she'll thank you by bashing in your brains."

Cursing, the woman swung and kicked, her wrists still imprisoned by Alex.

"Stop that." In annoyance, Alex kicked the woman's shins. "Listen. You got any kids? I'll take you and them to a shelter for battered women."

Still cursing, the woman tried to head-butt her.

"I'll take that as a no." Alex sent the woman sprawling. "Run. Get out of here."

Rile knocked the pimp unconscious and the woman ran. Alex cut off the pimp's clothing and took his cash and jewelry.

"I gots a kid."

Alex and Rile turned towards the soft voice coming from the end of the alley.

"I gots a kid. You take us?" Another prostitute emerged from the darkness.

"Sure." Alex brightened. "Where? We'll go now. What's your name?"

"Lashanda."

***

They ended up at a fast food place. There a little boy climbed on the play structure, while a sweet and very out of place looking, blond woman watched. She eagerly greeted them.

"DeShawn's first grade teacher. Thanks fer watchin' him. Goin' to da shelter now," Lashanda said.

The sweet blond looked relieved and thanked Alex, who shrugged. They walked several blocks before they reached Alex's subcompact. It was a quiet trip because even the boisterous DeShawn was intimidated by Rile.

At the shelter, Alex rang the doorbell and was warmly greeted by Helen Crenshaw, the director of the women's shelter. She spoke lovingly to the little boy as she ushered them in. Alex handed her a wad of cash.   

"This was the pimp's. Use it to set her and her son up right, please," Alex said.

***

On the way home, Rile asked with curiosity, "Why did that other woman attack us?"

"You are so asking the wrong person. I just give them a chance to break free. Take it or leave it, I don't care."

"You care," Rile replied. "Look how happy you were when the second woman took you up on your offer."

"Maybe I care. Just a little. Let's go home."

***

Once they arrived, Alex walked straight up to the second story of the carriage house.

"Not checking in with Gabe?" Rile smirked.

"He's gone, remember?" Alex flicked on the lights. "Time to think or whatever."

"At least we're free of his aggravation right now."

"I don't know what you're upset about." Alex flung herself on the couch. Hidden bitterness flowed freely. "I mean you're Called, flash of light, higher purpose, and all that. I'm just a hanger on Guardian, barely trained."

Rile looked at this new Alex. She had potential. He made an encouraging noise and she continued.

"What am I, but some mentally unbalanced amnesiac, with weird powers, on the run from a collection of psychos and secret agents?"

"Mentally unbalanced amnesiac. I like that. Can I use it?" Rile asked.

"Sure. You will, anyway."     

She was right and Rile filed the name away for future use. He clicked on the TV.

"Spike TV? Discovery? Animal Planet?" he asked.

"You choose." Alex walked to the kitchen to fix a snack.

Neither would admit how much they liked this ritual of patrolling, television, and snacking. If they thought about it, they would feel like a married couple, easy in each other's company. But thinking about it was dangerous, and they saved that for the streets. Now was the time for mindless enjoyment. Mindless meant forgetting about Gabe and Cale.

***

A/N

Dedicated to newest reader

LauraHatesYouX

Princely_A_Seun