At The Principal's Office

Melissa was sitting outside the principal's office on the long bench. Simon and Hadley walked to her.

"Melissa, what happened? The principal called us in."

"I tried telling her to stop giving me treament but she wouldnt listen. I started out trying to get in trouble by doing miner stuff like paperwads and spitballs-"

Simon started giggling.

"Simon!" Hadley whispered sternly.

He stopped.

"After all that, I did something that got me in trouble more than I intended it. I got 'it' out."

"What do you mean by 'it'?" Simon asked.

"Rememeber that thing you got me for my birthday one time?"

"...Oh no! You did not!?" Simon yelled.

"Yes, my pocket knife."

Hadley gasped.

"Melissa!" Hadley said sternly.

"It was for a reasonable cause!"

"Bringing a deadly weapon to school is not a reasonable anything, young lady!" 

"Deadly? Ha! That thing won't even cut paper!"

"You're not getting my point here!"

They were interupted by the principal.

"Mr. Ferguson and Melissa, come on in."

They went in and sat down.

"Miss. Ferguson, first of all, why did you bring a knife to school?"

"I wanted to get in trouble with Mrs. Burke, she's been giving me special treatment because my guardian is an actor whom she's a fan of."

"Remember me?" Simon asked the principal.

"Oh yeah, you were on Days To Remember...but we're not here for this we're here for Melissa."

"I know what she did was wrong but me and Simon will punish her good when we get home. Ain't that right Melissa?" Hadley said sternly.

"Yes ma'am," Melissa said quietly.

"For her school punishment, she will be suspended for a full month, it may not seem like much but her coming from England and all, you know their school system."

"Oh yeah, they cane me to the bone," Melissa said sarcastically.

Simon pinched her on the arm.

"Ow!" 

"Zip it!" Simon said sternly.

"That's settled. Melissa, report back to school a month from now."

"Thank you very much," Hadley said.