17. losing the battle, winning the war

o. losing the battle, winning the war

With half the team gone, Jackie decided that with all the extra hands she should have them all help clean her messy house

With half the team gone, Jackie decided that with all the extra hands she should have them all help clean her messy house. Although, while Jackie was picking up glass, the other kids were taking down the tunnel drawing, her little buddy Dustin had other ideas.

"Dustin! Come on, we're supposed to be cleaning the- Steve what are you doing with that thing?" Jackie asked, stepping into the kitchen, where Dustin had cleared out the entire fridge, literally, and Steve was standing there with the Demo-dog wrapped in one of their old blankets.

Dustin sighed, "It should fit now."

Jackie scoffed, "Who should it fit?"

"Dude, is this really necessary?" Steve said motioning down to the thing in his arms, "Yes it is, okay. This is a ground-breaking, scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common animal, okay? It's not a dog."

Steve rolled his eyes, "Alright, alright, alright-" He shot Jackie a look as she crossed her arms with the average 'mom' look. "-but you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, alright?"

Steve slammed the Demo-dog into the fridge, everything but the head was fitting into the small box and Steve seemed to be struggling. "Christ. Help me out." Dustin nodded, "What am I supposed to do-"

"The door man! The door-"

Dustin sighed, "Alright, I got the door." Steve finally shoved the thing into the fridge with a few huffs, "Ew, Jesus." Steve whipped around and with Dustin slammed the door, "-God-"

The two puffed from the obvious work out as Jackie stood there with her eyebrows raised. Steve placed a hand on Dustin's head and ruffled his hat, making her smile.

"C'mere-" Steve said holding his hands out with his lips puckered; Jackie squealed, "Steve no! Steve-" She pushed him away with her foot as he laughed, "Go wash your hands! You smell like shit."

He nodded and started to walk away, but quickly spun around and landed a quick peck on her cheek making her try and hide her smile, "You're an idiot Steve Harrington!"

The kids continued to clean: Steve and Jackie cleaning up the glass, Lucas and Max ripping the tunnels off of the walls and Dustin and Mike were helping with dishes and rearranging the messy kitchen after the disaster Steve and Dustin had made. Although, it seemed like Mike was doing more pacing than cleaning.

"Mike, will you stop already?" Lucas yelled looking at his best friend. Mike just scoffed, "You weren't in there Lucas, okay? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs-"

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin corrected from the other room but they ignored him, "The chief will take care of her."

Max rolled her eyes with a forced sigh, "Like she needs protection."