june 11th, 2018

Evan begged me to go to the carnival with him again, claiming he needed more 'best friend therapy.' His hand firmly grips mine, dragging me into the carnival.

We both take a big whiff of the area. Instantly, the funnel cake stand catches my attention.

Without words, I motion with my eyes towards the stand and back to Evan. "Of course, little lady. I want a snack. And not you, before you say anything, Mars." I burst into laughter as he enthusiastically pulls me to the delicious goodness.

He orders a side of fries with the funnel cake. As soon as the food comes out, I start to rush to find tables.

But as soon as I turn around, I'm met his a face full of hard chest. I dazedly back up as Evan laughs up a storm behind me.

"T-That... You b-bounced... off of him!" he shouts, clutching onto his stomach as he's laughing so hard. He can barely catch his own breath. Oh my God.

Giving him a death glare, I turn my eyes up into the slightly amused guy in front of me.

"I'm so sorry-"

Wait.

His eyes. His hair. His voice. No.

His eyes flicker with surprise. He takes kind of a step back, doing a double take of me. He stares at me for an uncomfortable amount of time, but I can't help but do the same.

Finally, he seemingly clicks back into reality. "Are you Marla Jones?" he asks, almost in a whisper.

I back up into the counter of the food stand.

"Hey! You're keeping up the line. Get your food already!" someone snaps at me from the back. I shake my head, panic running through my veins.

"Hah, I, um, need to go. Like they said!" I stammer, stumbling back towards Evan. He's squinting at the guy, most likely trying to figure out who I already know. I quickly grab his arm.

"We need to go, Evan. That's Zach! Now stop fucking staring!" I whisper yell at him. Evan looks down at me and immediately agrees. We quickly speed walk out of there.

As soon as we're in the car, my mind starts to drift. That couldn't have been Zach. Why would he be here? I moved 3 years ago. I've blocked him out of my memory.

But more importantly, how in the hell does he recognize me?