Behind the Scenes

The ghost pulled me towards the mirror, and I, like a hypontized rag doll, followed. As she started to plunge herself into the mirror, I pulled back. "I can't go through, I'm a mortal! I'll just hit the wall!" I exclaimed. She just continued to lead me towards the mirror, ignoring my comment. "you..will..be..fine" she said croakily. As I came centimetres away from the mirror, I looked around the room one last time. "Goodbye my friends, I'm sorry I didn't die with you...but I fear my fate is much worse" I chocked back tears and took a deep breath, waiting for the impact of the wall as I took the final step. But none came.

I half opened one eye to see a dark, dirty room. One murky candle attached to the wall was the only light source for the room. I opened both of my eyes fully to make out a filthy red couch at one end of the large, concrete room. Yes, contrete, every wall, ceiling and floor was made with the stuff. All cracked and bloody. Hang on, BLOODY!? I made a very important mental note to keep myself alert here, otherwise my blood could be a pattern on there, along with the others. I followed Bloody Mary to the couch and sat down. "Would you like a drink?" she asked me softly. I was about to answer when I remebered how she had last spoken to me, rough and croakily. I whipped my head sideways and my jaw dropped. The tattered old dress that had been stained with blood was now pristeen white. Her limp hair had lightened to a pale blonde that now fell around her face with soft ringlets, but the most amazing difference was her eyes, where empty pits once glowered, there were now two sapphire coloured orbs. This sudden make over made Bloody Mary look younger, sweeter, which I knew was far from correct. "What? what is it ,child?!" she asked me impatiently. I snapped my mouth shut and shook my head "Oh, n-nothing miss, j-just...admiring the room" I said as politely as I could. "Child, I know that is a lie because this room is a hell hole, oh and call me Mary" she replied.  I was puzzled, SURELY she knew what she looked like, right? If she didn't, I wasn't sure I could tell her anyway, I didn't want to cause trouble on my first day here! "Oh and h-hot chocolate would be fine, i-if you have any" I said quietly. Mary nodded and poured a drink from the teapot, which was placed on a rickety,old, wooden table. "D-do you always travel l-like that?" I said, filling the awkward silence. Mary nooded "It was a problem at first, but these days everyone has a mirror, especially those models,  you have no idea how vain they are, checking there appearances nearly every ten seconds! Some of the others in this place wish they travellled by mirror, just because its so much easier than walking! Plus there are some who just want to 'visit' the models and celebrities" she said, emphaisising the word 'visit' to explain what she really meant. I burst out laughing at this, making her jump.

"No-one has ever laughed near me before" she said staring at me hard. Oh no, have I messed it up already!? I was panicking in my mind but stopped when Mary added "Thank you, you are nice to me". I sighed in relief and smiled. "So, whats your name?" "Skye" "How old are you" " 15". I felt like i was being interrigated, awaiting question after question. Mary suddenly paused, as if daring to even ask the next question "Why did you summon me?". I was thrown. What should I say, that it was a dare, we didn't think it would work, that we did it for a laugh? I would get murdered for sure! "I..well, we...we summoned you because..um, we, we were curious" I kicked myself. Because we were curious?! worst excuse EVER! i awaited a blow to the head but nothing came. I glanced up to see Mary giving me a confused look. "You were curious..of what?". damn it. "well..of you, of your appearance, if you existed, why you kill people" I replied, willing myself to shut my mouth as it got worse and worse. "Oh, well you know what I look like and that I exist but I don't have reasons for killing things". Her reply sent chills down my back. "Anyway, do you like your drink?" she seemed to be trying to change the subject and I went along with it..it was getting awkward and I had a feeling she was trying to hide things from me. I would find out what, I was sure of it. We talked for what felt like forever before I heard a weird croaking noise.

"W-what was that!?" I whispered. Mary stood up and grabbed the candle, just as a pale women in a dirty red stained dress crawled to the sofa. Her neck was bent at a 90 degree angle and her long black hair dragged behind her . I jumped up onto the sofa with a cry, realising it was the Grudge. "Oh get away! Stop being nosy and leave the girl alone will you? Its her first night and already you lot are trying to kill her!" Mary scolded the ghost, leaving me shocked. "Skye, this is the Grudge, or Kayako, Kayako, this is Skye, my assistant!" I froze in my place as Kayako slithered towards me, hand outstretched. "Shake it!" Mary whispered to me through clenched teeth. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, stretching out my hand for the Grudge to shake. A cold hand grasped mine and gave it a firm shake. It then let go of my hand and moved away. I looked up with shock, trying to get over the fact that I had just shook hand with the Grudge, without getting murdered! Kayako was giving me glares as she slid over to Mary. This was a warning, I knew it was, I was unwanted here and I had to be on my best guard. "Do you have any news on the others?" Mary asked her. I only heard the death rattle reply but Mary was nodding her head as if she understood everything. "Thanks Kayako, you have been very helpful, you may go now" Mary said as the noise ended. Kayako slithered towards a wodden door at the back of the room, just as she was about to go, she turned to me, her eyes staring with pure evil and I swore she smiled. Before I could say anything she was gone, leaving me with Mary again. "Don't worry, she is nice once you get to know her" Mary tried to reassure me. i wasn't convinced but still nodded. "Apparently, there is a dinner being held for everyone tommorow evening, you can meet everyone there" Mary told me. "Will the G-grudge, I mean Kayako be there?" I asked worriedly. "Maybe, but usually she doesn't like big occasions" Mary informed me. I relaxed a bit when i heard this. I watched as Mary got up and clicked her fingers, causing two beds to appear on the opposite side of the room. "Get some rest Skye, you will need to be alert and ready tommorow...we also need to get you some clothes.." Mary said while getting into bed. I followed Mary's lead and climbed into bed. "Mary?" . "Yes?. "Who will be there..at the dinner?" I asked. "oh, just a few people..mainly people you humans say are 'myths'" she replied. "Oh and Mary?" i asked, yawning. "yes?" she asked wearily. "Thanks for not killing me". I heard her giggle and reply "My pleasure, now get some sleep!". In a matter of minutes she was asleep, leaving me to let my emotions out. Tears slipped out of my eyes and I gripped the duvet with fear. This was a nightmare, I was trapped in a house of killers, no humans, no escape, no-one to hear my screams... shivers ran down my back. How was I going to sleep!? i was too scared to even breathe!! After a few minutes of this, my eyelids drew heavy and with panic I felt myself drift off, no way of stopping myself. It gave me courage that i had survived the evening in this hell hole....

My first evening behind the scenes.