IV. lark in narnia

Start from the beginning

"Nevermind Lucy. Let's go see Mr. Tumnus."

We trudged through the snow until we made it to his home. Mr. Tumnus greeted us at the door.

"Lucy! So good to have you back! And who is this you've brought with you? Is she from Spare Oom as well?"

Lucy giggled. "Yes, this is Lark. Lark, meet Mr. Tumnus." Mr. Tumnus's eyes widened at the mention of my name. I pretended I didn't see.

"Please, come inside. I've made some tea."

We sat in Mr. Tumnus's living room, sipping our tea as he told us the stories of old Narnia before it was taken over by winter.

After about an hour, Mr. Tumnus broke the comfortable silence by asking: "Are either of you familiar with any Narnian lullabies?"

"Sorry, no..." Lucy said timidly.

"That's good," He continued, "Because this probably won't sound anything like one." He pulled out a double reed flute and began to play...

Soon enough, we were both asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I awoke to the sound of Lucy and Mr. Tumnus talking.

"I'm such a bad fawn," Mr. Tumnus moaned, "I'm such a terrible, terrible fawn!"

"Why, no you aren't!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, you're the nicest fawn I've ever met. I bet you're the nicest fawn in the whole world!" Lucy cried.

"No! No, I'm not!"

"Well, what is it you've done?" I asked.

"It;s not what I have done, its what I'm doing. In fact, I'm doing it, at this moment!"

"What is it?" asked Lucy worriedly.

"Talking to you!" He explained. "I'm working with the White Witch and...and she told me to put to sleep and capture and son or daughter of Adam or Eve or....well, that's not important. I'm supposed to kidnap you!"

"Oh, but you won't right?" I asked.

"No, Mr. Tumnus, you really mustn't!" 

"Of course I won't! But you must get back now...they'll be here soon!"

Mr. Tumnus led us through the forest until we reached the lamppost.

"You can find your own way back, I hope?" He asked. We nodded.

Lucy gave him her handkerchief. We were just about to step back through the trees, when we heard growling. Then we saw them. Wolves.

I pulled Lucy behind me. "RUN!" I screamed. We began to run but one of the wolves separated us.

"Looks like your little friend the faun was a bit too late, huh?" Lucy screamed. They talk?

"Go!" I told her. Look at me, being all chivalrous. I realized then and there that I cared for her. For all of them. Even Edmund. Deeply.

Lucy looked at me, fear in her eyes.

"I SAID GO!" I yelled. Lucy backed into the overgrowth. Now, I was surrounded. Then I heard a voice.

"When I say jump, you jump! LARK! One..." Who was speaking? It didn't sound like a wolf if that even makes sense. So I know, it's crazy. but I was putting my trust in the strange unidentified voice.