1

A/N: Tony is going to be slightly OOC for this, but I'll try my best to make him as true to character as possible. This story was harder than I thought it would be...

"I'm sorry, it's not going to work out between us," Peter heard the man say with no remorse over the phone. Just like that, another one was gone. What a shame, Peter liked that man.

Peter couldn't understand why so many men kept coming and going through his mom and his lives, staying for a little while before leaving. Coincidentally, they all left shortly after they learned about Peter's existence.

Peter climbed out of his bed and slowly walking into the small kitchen where his mother was just hanging the phone up and wiping her eyes. Peter frowned as he walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her legs.

"Peter?" Mary asked, her eyes wide as she looked down at her son, "What are you doing awake?"

"Don't cry, mommy... We'll find a daddy soon..."

Peter felt arms around him, lifting him into the air as his mother's lips pressed against the side of his head. "I know, baby... We'll get him soon."

Peter couldn't understand why he didn't have a daddy like all the other kids; he was always on his best behavior when a new man would come to the house and he would greet them just like his babysitter taught him too, so why didn't any of them want to stay? Why didn't any of them want to be his daddy? Was there something wrong with Peter?

Another year and many more men later, Peter saw his mother return home from work with a large smile on her face and humming a song to herself. It's been a long time since he's seen her smile like that... 

She paid the babysitter, dismissing the teen before scooping Peter up in her arms and spinning him around. "Petey, Mommy's got a date tomorrow."

Peter's eyes widened, a smile making its way onto his face for her. He had given up hope on ever meeting his daddy, but he loved seeing his mommy happy about it.

"That's great!"

"I think you'll like him too, Peter." She had a teasing smile as she set him down on a barstool. "His name is Tony Stark."

Once again, the boy's eyes widened. He gasped up at his mother with awe and disbelief. Peter had heard stories about Mr. Stark through the TV and kids at school, Mr. Stark was a genius.

"No way..."

"Yes way. I met him last week while at work, he asked if he could take me to the movies tomorrow. Isn't this great? I know you've been wanting to meet him since you first heard about him."

Peter was practically vibrating in happiness at the thought of being in the same room as Tony Stark, not even daring to let his young mind hope for the man to be his daddy. But what if he found out about Peter and left like all the other men did? Peter really didn't want to think that his hero was just like all the others his mommy had dated... But he couldn't help but imagine it as a possibility.

He couldn't let that happen. Maybe if he wasn't around as much, or if he just didn't leave his room when the man was there? This time... this time he would make sure his mom would finally be happy.

~*~*~

"Peter, Tony is here! Come say hi!" Mary called to her son as Tony walked into their apartment. 

Silence from the bedroom down the hall met their awaiting ears, Mary frowning slightly in concern.

"I'm sorry, Peter must be shy today." Mary apologized as she looked towards Peter's room where the boy was. "He was so excited to meet you yesterday, I wonder what happened."