Chapter 2: The Mission

Private Jonnes quickly maneuvered around small circles of marines idly waiting for orders, playing cards, drinking, gambling, or something unworthy of a soldier. Jun ignored the marines wasting their time. Humanity was technically not at war with the Covenant or any other alien species or collective. However that didn't place Jun at ease. He was a SPARTAN and SPARTANs don't idle away time, even during the peacetime that he thought would never occur. He was waiting for shore-leave, a rarity among SPARTANs but here he was volunteering for overtime.

NOBLE arrived at the tent in the core of the base of operations.

"HQ, Sir," Private Jonnes noted to Jun. Jun nodded and the Private saluted and took his leave. Noble one turned to NOBLE.

"Stay here."

Noble One entered the tent, temporary HQ.

"Commander," Colonel Kilan C. Horvath acknowledged still overlooking a file on his data-pad.

"Colonel, Sir," Noble One responded.

"ONI, specifically Sector Three, has a priority zero mission for you."

"Priority Zero, Sir? In peacetime?" Noble One responded.

"Noble One, we're in a time that's anything but peaceful. I've heard peace talks with the Covenant are...interesting...violent even sometimes, certain factions of the Covenant declare peace negotiations as shameful and have taken drastic measures to provide their perspective. This is not peacetime," Colonel Horvath replied casually placing the data-pad on his makeshift desk piled high with paperwork.

"Sorry, Sir," Noble one replied.

"Your mission, Noble One, is basic recon. This operation will now be referred to as FINDINGTHEGRAVES. After the glassing of Reach, high priority areas such as ONI Sword Base and launch sites for the SABER program need to be uncovered. However, due to high security clearance on such nonexistent locations, NOBLE has been accepted due to you, Noble One as been previously exposed to locations and basic understanding of aforementioned highly-sensitive data and locations. Your request for the position also highlighted your willingness to see the Reach campaign to its end. I respect your reasoning and convictions. Unfortunately, you will be entering blind. All the experts have reached the same conclusions about the ruins more or less: Some think they're gone, some think that they're still there but the top will be inaccessible short of a high-powered drill, some think that only the top layers have been scathed but most systems should be functioning. ONI is uncertain the condition of the ruins. Find out the condition and point of entry for each location sent to your tactical display. Upon entrance to a ruin, I want routine checkups and complete team-wide tactical video. I'm assigning two falcons to your squad, they'll give you a ride on your order."

"Understood, Sir."

"Good Luck, Noble One," Colonel Horvath said.

Jun nodded and left the tent and his CO (Commanding Officer) behind. Noble Four and Noble Five were exchanging some light conversation. Two was examining reports given to him by an ONI xenogeologist.

"NOBLE load those hornets, ASAP. Bring extra ammunition, a few cases of grenades and as many mines as you can fine, we might have to make our own doors," Noble One ordered.

"Sir, I can fly one bird and we can consolidate to one hornet. I can get us there in half the time using a fourth of the fuel," Three noted to One.

"Not this time, Three. Your vehicle and structural expertise will have to be store-housed for another time, however your assault specialties should have a priority demand on this mission," One informed Mark, his vehicles and assault expert. Mark moved to help Noble Five, Greggory, or as sometimes referred to as "Cheese" due his liking of the food, NOBLE's heavy weaponry and explosives expert, load the LOCUST anti-tank mines into one of the hornets.

Two and Four were pouring over the reports from multiple ONI scientists. Six was left by herself to load the ammunition. One carefully examined the newest member of NOBLE Team.

It was early in the morning when a lone warthog escorted by two falcons to the camp. This is where it all began. That SPARTAN was the new Noble Six. A Lieutenant formerly known for her lone-wolf missions. Jun only got a glimpse in the beginning at her, only in her armor, as she marched to report for duty to the temporary HQ where Carter was getting their mission that would chain react into the events that led to the discovering of Covenant forces on Planet Reach and the resulting counter insurgence as well as the the eventual fall of Reach.

Noble One quickly shook his head to block the resurgent memories. Noble Six II- no. Noble Six, was carefully and methodically carrying boxes of ammunition by her lonesome onto the other Falcon. She pulled out her sniper rifle, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and slapped a fresh magazine into her sniper rifle, satisfied, she put it away and worked on her assault rifle, standard issue, performing the same methodical process.

Noble One turned back to the progress of Two, Three, Four and Five. Three and Five were still loading mines, getting into some verbal quarrels but nothing uncommon between the two. Two finished reading reports. Four was focusing on reports of communication deadzones around the planet, probably performing a detailed plan on placement of temporary signal repeaters to remain in contact with HQ.

"Ready to roll, Sir," Noble Three reported.

 "Four, take that data-pad to go. Two, Five, you're with me," One ordered, taking a seat in the Falcon. Two sat next to him and Four sat across. One waited for Three, Four and Six to load up before signalling the pilots to take off.

"Sir exactly where are we going?" the pilot inquired via a private com channel.

"Take us to ONI Sword Base, cross reference previous topographical satelite data."

"Rodger," the pilot replied, cutting the com line.

Noble One inhaled a deep breath, a peaceful mission and he was nervous. After all he's been through...He couldn't believe the twisted feeling he had inside the pit of his stomach.