healing - ii

Depuis le début

Eden can't help herself; she starts to giggle, despite her face being awash with tears. Catalina leans back in confusion as Eden says, "This is a lot of emotion after two years of not talking."

Catalina starts laughing with her, her eyes wrinkling up with a genuine smile. "Agreed. We were never ones for the touchy-feely stuff, huh?"

"Not really," Eden giggles, drying her face with her hands.

"So," Catalina breathes, her face hopeful. "Are we alright then?"

"Yeah, Mom," Eden smiles, feeling a weight lift from her chest. "We're good."

"Great," she beams. "If you don't mind sticking around for a bit, I know your dad has a few things to tell you too."

"I don't mind," Eden says with a shrug. "We can catch up in the meantime."

"Wonderful!" Catalina grins, tugging Eden to the couch and plopping down into the soft cushions. "You can tell me all about this trip your friend mentioned."

~~~

Without giving away too many details, Eden tells Catalina about her escapades up to Niagara and back home. She refrains from telling her Harry's name or what he put her through, but she does unload all the heavy emotional baggage still sitting on her shoulders. Amenkha had done her best to help, but no one can give advice quite like mothers.

"I'm just really hurt after what . . . this friend did to me," Eden blubbers. Catalina hands her a tissue box and she snatches up a handful. "And I don't even begin to know how to get around it. I've never had something like this happen to me."

Weathered eyes gaze softly back at her. It pains Eden to know she's partially the cause of the inerasable wrinkles on her mother's face. "Baby, whatever this pain is that you're holding on to, you have to let it go."

Eden breathes in raggedly, her emotions spiking again. "Mom, you don't understand-"

Catalina shakes her head to silence her daughter. "I don't have to understand the situation to know the truth behind it. Whoever you're angry with, whatever's hurting you . . . you have to let it go. It'll eat you up alive if you don't."

Eden can't help the words that bubble up. "Just because you're into all this new-age, hippy forgiveness shit doesn't mean that I have to be," she snaps. "I'm allowed to be upset."

Catalina's jaw tightens as she absorbs the blow of Eden's words; immediately, Eden regrets letting her sharp tongue speak without thinking first.

"Sorry, Mom, I didn't mean that," she apologizes, lowering her tone to something softer and looks away guiltily. She crumples the tissues in her hands into a wad and blots her face, feeling new tears threaten to form.

Catalina closes her eyes, breathing in for a moment. Eden can practically her the cogs in her head whirring as she tries to respond with patience rather than irritation.

"Of course, you're right. Just because I realized my mistake doesn't mean that you have to forgive other people," Catalina says coolly. "All I'm saying is that I think it's in your best interest to try and put this behind you."

Eden massages her thighs with the heels of her hands, slowly rocking back and forth in the chair. "I can't," she says quietly. "I can't let it go."

Catalina places a soothing hand on Eden's hair to try and calm her. Her brown eyes watch Eden until she stops rocking and finally meets her mother's gaze. "Whoever's hurt you, if they know what they did and how you feel then it's on them to fix it."

Eden nods obediently, wondering if Harry knows the true depth of her pain.

"And if they don't know, and you don't plan on telling them, then why are you holding on to this? You deserve peace, darling."

Eden squeezes her eyes shut, feeling more tears begin to leak out. She leans forward, resting her head on her mother's shoulder while Catalina wraps her arms around her daughter.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," Eden sniffles. "I just need time to think."

She feels her mother's head move against her hair as Catalina nods in agreement. "I know you'll make the right choice. Just make sure it's the right choice for you."

~~~

disclaimer: i've been feeling some severe writers block so i got really sauced last night and wrote over half of this then, so if it doesn't make sense Sober Ash isn't responsible. 😁

also i'm very sorry to have kept you all waiting and i'm sorry if this doesn't live up to any expectations you had! the problems eden struggles with may seem simple but to her they are giant roadblocks, so despite the simplicity of this conversation with catalina, just know that it means a lot to eden to be past that part of her life. y'all had some great guesses in the comments though, it was really interesting to read what you thought. you guys are so creative :)

how's your week been? i've started training for my second job so it's been hectic, in a good way. update me in the comments, love you xx