~Prolouge~

It is both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so deeply
~Anonymous

Silence.

It remains stagnant in the air.
Hovering.

The bitter scent overwhelming my senses with deafening silence will forever be a door to a nightmare that revisits my consciousness every time the night goes dark.

I remember the tears glistening in my mother's eyes when the white envelope stamped with a golden sparrow , left discarded on our front door mat , arrived a sign that my father had simply become another casualty in a trivial war that was damned to achieve nothing else but death.

I watched my mother wither to nothing but an existing soul . Although she hanged on to the burning rope of an empty life for the sake of my innocence I could still hear her hopeless cries in the night screaming through the silence .

My fathers remains were never recovered and the only evidence that he ever was - lost with him.I only became aware of the reasons my mother threw everything that was him in flames when I was confronted with the effects his death had on her .She did not need to have a reminder to add to her grief.

She was unaware that I knew about her frequent yet secret visits to my father's burial stone.I had refused to be bought anywhere near the stone because to me it was exactly that a stone. I was angry that I was expected to find healing in it when they had left my father's spirit wandering and lost in the middle of a battle field. He was my father but to the country he was just another soldier lost.
My mother began to wither akin to a garden during winter and she eventually allowed for her being to be succumbed by death for her very roots to dry up never to blossom again.

And as for me.
I took it upon me to not let their passing be a confinement between me and the life I knew my father would have wanted for me.

I try with my very being to hold myself together
But in the night when no one is lingering in the shadows the tears fall an my soul remains broken.

I thought I would remain shattered
Bearing a broken heart
But that was before ...
him
~

👑Amberia👑