The boy and the Pegasus

In a far, far away land where magic was everything, witches and enchantresses where both feared and their powers were desired in equal measures. In this land that seems so unreal to those who read this tale, let me warn you now that if you are one of those people who don't believe in 'magic' and the supernatural this is not the story for you. So please don't read on. This is a story for the open minded and those who believe in the wired, the wonderful and the wicked. Our story begins on a hot day in the Jur desert. A young boy and his mother were waiting for the man of the house to come home from his travels. Dojji the young boy's father worked in the trading industry. He earned money by selling the Secret watches. These were watches made from crystals only found in meteors that fell from the sky. It was then whilst waiting for her husband to return, that Raaxo, who was pregnant and in the last stage of her pregnancy, fell ill. Raaxo feared for her only son Waheliye and her unborn child. She worried that there would be no one to look after them once she was gone, for she had no doubt that she was going to die after childbirth. Night fell and Raaxo was in great pain, pal and very tired because she had gone into labour. Three hours later Raaxo had laid an egg. She was shocked but she felt no less love for the egg than her son.

In the border between conscience and unconsciousness, Raaxo called for her son, her voice was barely more than a whisper in a tired voice "Waheliye...c c come closer son" she called to him. Waheliye moved closer to put his head next to hers.

"Whatever hatches from that egg" his mother said trying to make her voice sound as if she were in less pain.

"Acknowledge it as your sister if it's a girl a girl..." Raaxo stopped speaking to catch her breath because breathing was such hard work. When spoke, she felt more tired than she was before. In her whispery voice, Raaxo continued what she was trying to tell her son.

"... And if a boy... he will be your brother"

In that lonely hour, Raaxo side her final words and so was part of this world no more.

Waheliye cried and cried for many hours, wrapped around his dead mothers armed.

When dawn was near and the sky was being to get light in colour, he finally began to stop crying. He raised his head searching for the egg his mother told him would be his sibling. Slowly he stood up, stretched out all the cramps in his limps. Looking around the room he could see in the dim light his mother's favourite dressing table the biggest piece of furniture next to the double bed his mother and father slept in. The room was big but it had a welcoming feel, and sense of safety to its four walls.

In Waheliye's heart there was a hallow feeling that would always stay with him. His dead mother was cradling the egg, which was wrapped in a fading gray blanket.

He took the egg outside to bury it in the sand. The egg was quit big, about the size of a new born baby, and light-blue in colour with a lilac whirly design. With his bare hand he started to dig a hole which would be big enough for the egg to lay in. By the time he stopped digging the sun had raised; he took the egg and put it in the hole, covered it up with sand and went back into the house.

One week later his father came back home to find his wife dead.

"Father, mother has passed after giving birth" said Waheliye, his voice hoarse from all the crying.

"Where is the baby?" his father asked looking around, searching for signs of a baby. Waheliye didn't tell his father about the egg. Instead he decided to tell half the truth.

"I buried the baby, father"

"Was it a boy or a girl?"

"I don't know father I didn't check"

Dojji arranged for the funeral to take please immediately. Once the funeral was over Dojji started to look for a new wife, who look after his son.

A month past and Waheliye's father was engaged to be married in a few weeks.

Five years have passed since Waheliye's father remarried. It was the end of the rainless season, when his father came back from his travel. Dojji had brought back with him two parcels. One was buttery food and the other a big bottle of cooking oil. He gives the butter food to Waheliye and the big bottle to his wife and her sons.

The wife was very angry about the gives

"How come you give your son the buttery food and us the oil" she complained

"We want the buttery food"

Dojji turned to his son and asked if minded swapping with his stepmother and brothers. He told Waheliye that if he drank a tablespoon of the oil every day, he would become strong and fit. Waheliye agreed to do the swapping. Every morning he would swallow one table spoon of oil as his father had instructed. Each day that past by he got stronger and stronger. His stepmother began to get jealous of Waheliye's progress. In the dead of night she left home and travel to a cave about 200mile from her home, to see the witch that lived there. The witch was known as Naf khaado, which means taker of live. Naf Khaado's profession was the art of death. It was rumoured that she knew more was of killing people than a death god. The stepmother run and run across the Jur dessert, hardly stopping to take a breath. The sky was full of stars; they cover the heaven like the sand covered the land. Finally when she reached the caves, she was told to come in by Naf Khaado like both women where good friend or old allies.