Chapter 21: All the Comforts of Home

Start from the beginning

Quickly Fili began act like he'd been staring at something else, but he wasn't fooling anyone, he knew how guilty he looked, even if he wasn't actually guilty of anything.

"Hey, what's up?" she asked sitting down next to him and nudging him playfully.

He didn't answer simply shrugged his shoulders and stared out into the vast mass of flowers covering the ground. He would never admit it out loud but he still really liked her, probably nearly as much as Kili did, but he could see it was clear where he stood, he would never be any more than a like a brother to her.

"Come on, I know something's up! I can tell!" she said urging him to share his problems, "Or at least, I think I can tell, I'm not really sure what your 'I've got problems' face is yet!" she continued, trying to ease him into speech through humour; he giggled almost silently but it was noticeable. Still he didn't answer; he brought his pipe to his mouth and drew another long breath.

"All right then, keep your secrets, you have as much right as any one...just know that there are some things that need to be shared" she told him reassuringly, placing a friendly hand on his shoulder. She then got up and left him to his thoughts.

Fili was left with nothing but the sound of the soft blowing wind and the whimsical whistling of the birds. He sat and pondered her words, 'some thing's need to be shared', what could she mean by that?

He sighed once more and rose to his feet, stamping out the fading embers of his pipeweed with his thumb and stuffing it back in his pocket. Just as he was about to retire inside for the day with the others he heard a loud and very deliberate sounding rustle in the trees not far from him.

He became rigid and alert. He stood watching the greenery with his young, keen blue, green eyes. He kept himself sensitive to every tiny sound and movement. He controlled his breathing as he'd been taught and slowly approached the noise.

'What are you doing? It's nothing! And if it isn't?' he subconsciously conversed with himself, 'Go get help or tell someone at least!' he told himself, but his body was compelled forward and eager to investigate.

He drew closer and closer, as he did he unlatched one of the small throwing axes from his boot and held it in anticipation of what was to come. He was verging on the edge of the trees now, the rustle becoming more and more frequent; louder too. He held his breath and almost died when a tall bearded man burst out of the trees and walked right into him. He dropped his axe and tripped over himself in shock.

Fili looked up at him and realised it was Beorn, he was muddy and worn looking, 'Where has he been I wonder?' he thought. Fili noticed he was holding a small clatter of weapons that looked peculiarly small in his large hand.

"Terribly sorry master dwarf," Beorn said, loudly and apologetically, leaning over to help him up. He also noticed the axe lying at his side, "You dwarves are a very cautious lot!" he mused lifting it and handing it to him.

Fili said nothing and nodded as Beorn, who was almost twice his size, bent over to give it to him.

"Go and tell the others I have returned will you, I'll be there in a moment" Beorn told him as he made for his shed.

Fili waited until Beorn was well out of sight before sprinting into the hall and blurting out the news to the others. Why he was in such a hurry he didn't know, but he believed it to be something to do with Kili not being there by his side.

~\/*\/~

Braerka was sipping at a glass of hot tea Dori had just made her, he had found the tea tree among the many plants in the surrounding gardens and had recommended she try it. However it was not her 'cup of tea'. It was far too bitter and tasted more like off lemons to her, but in an attempt to not be rude she smiled politely and drank.