Bayaning Third World Movie Review

I.              Title of the Movie and its year

·         Bayaning Third World, 1999

II.            Producer

·         GMA Films, Mike De Leon

III.           Director

·         Mike De Leon

IV.          Scriptwriter

·         Mike De Leon and Clodualdo Del mundo Jr.

V.            Characters

·         Ricky Davao as Filmmaker # 1

·         Cris Villanueva as Filmmaker # 2

·         Joel Torre as Jose Rizal

·         Daria Ramirez as Teodora Alonzo

·         Joonee Gamboa as Paciano

·         Rio Locsin as Trinidad

·         Cherry Pie Picache as Narcisa

·         Lara Fabregas as Josephine Bracken

·         Ed Rocha as Fr. Balaguer

VI.          Summary of the movie

At the opening of the film, veteran actors Ricky Davao and Cris Villanueva who both play as the producers of the film within the film narrates certain facts and comments about Rizal’s heroism, death and its effects on the media, currency, and even other businesses. The first issue they talked about was the gender of Jose Rizal—if he was a gay or not. Next, they started to talk about the dead-end issue of retraction controversy of Jose Rizal. They even decided that having the retraction controversy included in their movie would definitely give an expose to Josephine Bracken. The two filmmakers had their research and investigation on the life of Jose Rizal by having encounters with the people who were really close to Rizal—his mother, Doña Lolay, Josephine Bracken, Fr. Balaguer, Paciano (his brother), Narcisa and Trining (his sisters,) through their creative imagination. The first person that was interviewed by Filmmaker #1 was his mother, Doña Lolay. They had reminisced how Rizal lived his life during his time and his mother felt bothered when the time Rizal had almost forgot his responsibilities as a Christian. The next scene was in the Rebel Camp of the Katipunan where Filmmaker #2 was able to talk to Rizal’s brother, Paciano. They talked about Rizal and Rizal even mentioned in the year 1892 that he was already prepared to die for the country. They talked about Rizal’s exile in Dapitan right after he went home from Hongkong. Paciano even claimed that Josephine and Rizal never marry. The next person that was visited was Josephine Bracken and she was interviewed by Filmmaker #1. Josephine confessed that she was never liked by Rizal’s family except Narcisa because according to them, she was a shame. She just sent to Dapitan to seduce Jose Rizal and at the end, marry her. She claimed that Jose Rizal really wanted to marry her following the conditions of the priests—one is for him to retract. Josephine was not really reliable on the retraction argument between Rizal and Father Obach since she said that she was not there and she didn’t care about politics.