First Day Of Being A Maid

Mona Lisa's POV:

I awoke this morning hot and sweaty from my deep sleep. It was very rare for me to have such a deep sleep in a new bed. I slowly got up, the small, old bed frame creaking. Pulling off the old woolen comforter and an old feather pillow, you could tell my whole bed and sheets were very worn in.

I slowly put my foot down on the old creaky wooden floor, gasping at its sudden loss of heat. Ok mental note put my slippers at the foot of the bed. At my home, my sister and I would always sleep on top of our slippers to keep them warm in the morning. Thinking about my sister made me feel sad and a little sick. I also missed my kitty so much.

I had been daydreaming about all the great moments we had had together, staring above at the cobwebs, they seemed to dance and reenact these moments. They were telling me about the time when we went to the grand dance and my little sister couldn't stand up in her high heels. They seemed to really move while I was imagining and watching the memory unfold. I smile at the fond memory replaying in my mind. I wish I could go back to that exact moment. That moment of when my family was all happy and together. Better than my life is right now. Hopefully, this won't last long. My thoughts were interrupted by a woman's stern voice ringing in my ears.

"Are you up yet, girl!" she yelled.

"I am, Miss" I yelled back, quickly getting my maid outfit on.

I rushed downstairs, almost falling into the disapproving woman with her hands on her hips. I almost instantly looked down at my feet. As she raised her hand, I thought she was going to slap me, but her hand landed briskly on a wooden spoon. "Ok, a bit dramatic" I thought.

"You, girl, are going to help me make breakfast for my husband. Now come on, I let you sleep in late," she said walking off in a huff as I followed behind her.

We had arrived at a very modern-looking kitchen. It had polished stone floors, a large working area in the middle of the floor, cabinets lining the walls going all the way around the room. Under them were wooden counters, also lining the bottom of the wall. To the right was a giant fire place with a big black metal pot hanging on it. The icebox was on the top of the counter closest to the door, which was the farthest away from the fire. The lady, who I know as Mrs. Da Vinci, who was cutting up what looked like veggies.

"Hey girl, come on! Start toasting the bread," she said.

"Ok, why are you chopping up veggies," I asked as I started to do my designated task. Not looking up at me, she responded with a grunt, and then continued working.

"I need to make dinner earlier than usual tonight," she answered, still not looking up.

I looked down and realized that the toast was burning. I quickly took it off the fire. I hissed in pain realizing that I had burnt my hands in the process. Mrs. Da Vinci saw and scolded me.

"You stupid girl," she scolded "Go and wash your hands with the cool water outback!"

I ran out, not wanting to get yelled at anymore. Opening the old creaky door that led to the backyard, I stepped out onto the cobblestone path that had little tufts of grass growing on it. Once I was outside, my eyes wondered around the yard looking for the well.

My eyes landed on stone wall that had a wooden canopy over top of it, with a bucket hanging off it. Peering into it, I pulled the bucket up and proceeded to stick my sore, burned hands into it, sighing in relief as they began to cool down. As I was washing my hands, I heard a loud thud behind me. I turned to walk back to the house when I saw a tabby cat basking in the sunlight. Softly bending down, I stroked the cat making it curl up. 

"What's taking you so long, girl" Mrs Da Vinci said. 

"Sorry Miss, th.. the cat distracted me." I stuttered, hurrying past her back into the kitchen

My eyes landing on the perfectly made, already plated breakfast. with non burnt, freshly made toast on the plate too. 

"Um shall I take Master Da Vinci his breakfast?" I asked Miss. 

"No, he doesn't like strangers gawking at his work." She answered using her hip to open up the door and letting it slam on her way out.

I went about cleaning up the kitchen , the cat that scared me earlier came slinking into the kitchen. He jumped on to the counter and curled up on the window shelf, purring him self to sleep.

"Shoo, SHOO!" Miss said yelling at the cat to move. I was surprised that she was successful in him waking up. He woke hissed at the noise bothering him and jumped off the shelf running down the hallway . Okay then, bye.

"James" 

"What?" I said looking up at Miss, which I quickly corrected to Pardon.

"James is the cats name. Your Master thinks of him as good company, or as he calls him a studio cat. I don't love cats my self. Eventhough, he is very cute when he isn't being annoying." She exclaimed starting to clean up breakfast. 

(Time skip)

We had just arrived home form grocery shopping, I  was leaning againest the wall taking off my shoes one by one, when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Maybe that was Miss, or Sir. As I was walking to the kichen I took a quick glance at the stairs and stopped dead in my tracks. I for the frist time since seeing him at my house the other day was staring directly at the Mr Da Vinci aka one half of the people I look for. 

"Put your shoes back on you and I are going on a little shopping trip." He said peering down at me. 

"Wait you can't take her out now, I need her for dinner prep." Miss said hurrildy washing into the hallway.

"As I recall it was, you who said you need someone to help you gather supppiles and pigments, clean up, maybe even model for my paintings. Beside you didn't have any trouble making dinner before for just the two of us and we always had left overs, so I know there is a enough for her. Also from what I saw the moring, she isn't made to be working in the kitchen. Also I could use the company." He answered her putting his jacket on and helping me with mine, as we headed out the door.

We had started, at a steady pace walking down the street. We had arrived the center of the town, which is only a couple blocks from my new house. We walked across the bussiest part of town, to end up standing in front of a old worn down shack, however we didn't spend enough time out side to let me read the sign hanging above the shop. Inside the floor was splashed and covered with an ary of bright colors. Walking up to the counter, a old man greeted us, Sir started explaining what he needed and the old man started pulling of colorfull powders of self and putting them in mini containers. Sir handed him some money and there we were off walking home again.As we walked home I started to get really curious about the shop and what sir had in is bag and what he was going to use them for. 

"What is in the bag?" I asked I already knew but I wanted to know what he was doign with them.

"Pigments" Was the curt reply.

"Pigments for what?" I asked again.

"For turning into paints, to use on my paintings." He answred. 

"ooh" I replyed that makes sense.

We arrived home shortly after, as I got all my stuff off and was about to hang my coat up I yawned.

"You should go a take a nap, It has been a long day, I will bring your dinner up later." Sir insturcted me.

"Thanks sir and goodnight." I ansrwed sleeply going up stairs to my room.

I think I am going to like it here.

Authors note:

Woah, that was a long chapter to write, sorry it took so long, there has been a lot fo damara going on in my social life at school and juggling grade twelve along with a growing business has been hard too. As of now I haven't started the next chapter and I don't know acutally when I am going to update again there will be one .I hope you enjoyed this chapter if you do plz vote and comment I love you guys lots bye:)