↱ 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊; 𝕬 𝕻𝖔𝖑𝖔

"Why?" Eddie sobbed, clinging to Richie's neck as their teachers attempted to forcibly separate the two boys clinging to each other in the hallway of Hawkins' Elementary.

"Because it's time for class to start, Eddie," Mrs. Johnson, Eddie's second grade teacher explained gently.

"No!" Eddie wailed again.

It was the first day of second grade and for the first time in their school careers Eddie and Richie were in separate classes.

"Eddie-"

"Wanna be with Richie!"

"I'm not leavin' him!" Richie agreed.

"Boys," Miss. Williams sighed, exhausted by with the whole situation. "You'll still see each other at recess and the second-grade classes do a lot of activities together-"

"Wanna stay with Richie!" Eddie screamed, gaining the attention of several others in the hallway. Eddie was usually quiet and almost overly polite, making the outburst shocking to both educators.

Eventually the two were sent to the Principal's office to be dealt with as neither teacher could separate the two.

"What's going on?" Sonia wailed as she entered the office, Karen hot on her heels.

"Mr. Eddie and Mr. Richie here are apparently unhappy with their class assignments," the principal explained with faint amusement.

"What do you mean?" Sonia asked as she moved to hover over Eddie, checking him for signs of disease or injury.

"Mrs. Kaspbrak, I know you requested the two be separated-"

"What?" Karen asked, eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Eddie's been acting out and I think it's because of Richie's influence," Sonia sniffed haughtily.

"That's ridiculous!"

"Either way," the principal interrupted warily. "We need to come to an agreement so both boys don't miss any more of their first day."

"Richie," Karen sighed, squatting down next to her son. "I know you're upset, but you have to go to your classroom."

"But, Eddie-"

"Eddie'll be just across the hall," Karen stopped the pouting boy, smoothing his curls back. "You'll still see him lots," Karen promised making Sonia scoff in annoyance.

"Okay," Richie whimpered, looking over at his best friend sadly.

"Nooooo!" Eddie wailed, throwing his head back and crying.

"Eddie, that's enough," Sonia chided. "Why are you acting like this? Are you sick? Do we need to take you to see Dr. Handor?"

Eddie quieted immediately, shaking his head with wide eyes as silent tears continued to stream down his cheeks.

"No, please, no," Eddie whimpered, sniffling through his snotty nose.

"Sonia-" Karen protested, appalled that Sonia would threaten Eddie with a doctors appointment.

"I've wasted more than enough of my time here today," Sonia sniffed. "Get to class, Edward."

"Eddie Spaghetti!" Richie shrieked, barrelling into his best friend who was standing just outside the doors to the school, waiting for Richie's class to come outside for recess.

"Richie!" Eddie screamed back happily, hugging Richie tightly.

"How's your class?" Richie asked, smiling down at his best friend.