Chapter 15 | Danger

Start from the beginning

Hermione releases a huff of air, looking to the sky where the Thunderbird circles far above their heads, silence filling the air around them as she gathers her thoughts, sucking a great gulp of air into her lungs.

She was hurt and angry, these feelings probably wouldn't fully go away for a time yet but while Hermione may not be able to condone his actions, she was no stranger to making questionable decisions in the heat of the moment. Desperation often leads one to commit acts that they would not otherwise do. With that thought in mind she answers the waiting man.

"Mmm I suppose if Pickett has forgiven you for nearly giving him away I can as well." She responds with a soft smile, turning her eyes to him once more. "As for using our connection to placate me...well. You would do best to remember your promise. Please don't break my trust in such a way again and you better not expect me to forgive you so easily if you pull something so foolish again."

A tentative smile stretches across the handsome man's face as he tilts his chin up, more confident now, looking directly into Hermione's eyes. Newt reaches forward, gently tucking a stray curl behind her ear, careful not to brush her skin, leaning in close, the curl wrapping about his finger.

"A fool indeed-" He begins, blue eyes darkening slightly. "Should I take that to mean that you have no intentions of leaving me to my own devices anytime soon?" He questions, voice soft, his words heavy and full of meaning, his tongue darting out between his slightly parted lips.

Hermione's breath catches as she follows the line of his tongue before staring into the shining depths of his eyes, a shuddering breath escaping her lips, a smirk curving her mouth suddenly as she leans forward, her lips close to his ear.

Two can play at this game. She thinks letting out a small breath of air, her vindictive streak making an appearance, eyes shining as as he stiffens, his hand dropping from her hair.

"If you'll have me" She says voice low, tone playful. "It seems as though you're the type of man trouble loves to find."

Newt stiffens, clearing his throat as Hermione pulls away, their faces still close, breath mingling as their eyes meet once more.

"Says the Gryffindor to the Hufflepuff." Newt murmurs, tongue darting out from between his lips, Hermione's whiskey coloured eyes following it's path, a thoughtful expression on her face.

Her irritation with Newt had subsided, and though she could forgive him for what he did she wouldn't be able to forget for a while yet.

"Hey, Newt. Who is she?" Queenie's voice fills the air around them, the two breaking apart swiftly, turning to face the clearly amused woman.

"I- Ah- Who?" Newt questions, struggling to gather his bearings once more.

Hermione's eyes follow the line of Queenie's pale, delicate hand as she motions to a photograph sitting just inside Newts shed.

Who indeed. Hermione thinks, squinting her eyes, examining the picture of the the beautiful girl smiling suggestively from within the frame.

A girlfriend? Or and ex perhaps? She questions mentally, a sliver of anxiety pricking her senses.

Hermione's gaze darts to Newt as an audible gulp fills the air, his adams apple bobbing, eyes darting about as if uncomfortable with this line of questioning. Hermione's brows furrow as she narrows her eyes at the man beside her in question.

"Ah... That's no one." Newt answers, tongue darting across his lips, his eyes falling on Hermione before looking away as if guilty of something.

"Leta L-Lestrange? I- I've Heard of that family. Aren't they kinda- you know?" Queenie asks, stumbling a bit over her words, sending a worried glance in Hermione's direction as the name Lestrange fills the air.