Chapter 15 | Danger

¡THIS IS NOT MY STORY! The story was make by nyxblack on fanfiction.net.

——————————

The motley group return to Newt's case after finally recapturing the now shrunken Occamy and Dougal the Demiguise.

Hermione stood a short while away from Newt, her irritation with the man not quite gone, watching as he leads Dougal by the hand to his little home.

"Here she comes." He says lifting the Demiguise up and into its nest. His once again exposed forearms flexing

"Happy to be home? Bet you're exhausted, buddy. Come-on-there you go-that's right." He whispers to Dougal with a soft smile. Hermione's expression relaxes at the scene.

Her eyes trail to Tina a little ways away, anger and irritation spiking in her chest as she remembers how Tina ordered Queenie to go digging around in her head.

She understands now, how Harry felt every night he returned from a lesson with Snape in their fifth year, exposed, vulnerable. It was an invasion of privacy- it's just not done. Hermione thinks, a frown on her face as Tina, unconcerned for Hermione's inner turmoil, glances between the various enclosures, face full of wonder and admiration.

Jacob chuckles lightly at Tina's expression, unaware of the frown Hermione is sending at Tina and the irritation and anger rolling off the woman in waves. The old adage her Mother taught her springs to mind as she watches the other woman. If looks could kill.

"Ouch!" Newt suddenly exclaims, catching Hermione's attention once more, her expression adopting a neutral look.

Newt fishes Pickett out of his pocket, holding him up on his hand as he strides through the various enclosures, Hermione shadows him silently, curious to see how he'll explain his way out of this one.

"Right... I think we need to talk. See, I wouldn't have let him keep you, Pickett. Pick, I would rather chop off my hand than get rid of you... After everything you have done for me-now come on." He pleads as they reach the magnificent Thunderbird's enclosure.

Poppy clacks quietly in Hermione's hair, pulling at a few stray strands as she makes her way to the front.

"Pick- we've talked about sulking before, haven't we. Pickett- come on, give me a smile. Pickett, give me a..."

Hermione watches as Pickett sticks out his tiny tongue and blows a raspberry at Newt.

Serves him right. Hermione thinks cupping a hand over her mouth in an attempt to stifle her giggles, Poppy cackling as she swings in her hair.

"All right- now, that is beneath you." Newt replies placing Pickett on his shoulder, Hermione can't help but laugh loudly at the pair, gaining the man's attention.

His surprised eyes dart to her, seeing the mirth she doesn't hide. An embarrassed smile graces his features before he drops his gaze as if remembering something painful, his expression falling before turning and busying himself with various buckets of feed.

"And you?" He asks, back turned, a sliver of pleading in his tone, eyes focused on the task at hand.

"Hmm?" Hermione asks stepping closer to the man, coming to a stop at his side as Poppy and Pickett begin to argue from the shoulders of their respective hosts.

Hermione sticks a tongue out playfully at the small Bowtruckle on Newts shoulder earning herself a raspberry in return. Her laughter fills the air once more as Newt turns to her, gaze darting between hers and the floor, wringing his hands nervously.

"It was obvious you were upset with me for giving away Pickett and- attempting to- placate you through the use of the unusual magic between us." He begins. "You have to understand I wouldn't- I would never- It- I was wrong. I shouldn't have done what I did and I promise I won't ever do that again." Newt says in a rush, eager to explain himself but unable to fully articulate his feelings.