MONSTER AMONG MEN

𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄𝐍.

❝ would it be enough if i could never give you peace? ❞

Carolyn Levy has always loved Bucky Barnes

Carolyn Levy has always loved Bucky Barnes. That was just how the world worked. Clouds nurtured the ground every rainfall, fire kindled plumes of smoke, and Carolyn was by Bucky's side. He was her moon, her light when everything else was dim, and she was his star. They were each other's solace in a world of nighttime, and it was an often unspoken promise that where there rested a need, there would also rest a hand to hold.

But she never envisioned that she'd love him like that. Carolyn, Steve, and Bucky had been friends since the moment they'd found each other, and that was all it was ever supposed to be. A friendship wound so tight that it was reminiscent of family, not a friendship so consumed by daydreams that she dreamt of something more tender. She despised him for it. He was supposed to simplify her life ―  make it easier to persevere through, not complicate it. So she despised, and she loved in secret, and she pretended.

And he left.

A leaf torn from its branch by the wind, the United States Army's draft took Bucky's hand and guided him down a different path from the one he had planned. With the newfound void in her life, Carolyn began to feel herself drown in its inky waters. Its ebony grip began to suffocate her until the ghosts of her past returned ― her runaway mother, her absent brother ― and the void was able to wrap its viscous tendrils around her throat without Bucky's footprints there for her to step in. To follow.