XIV. Sonic the Hedgehog

Start from the beginning

Tikal smiled, tilting her head to the side. "It is good to see that the chao still adore you," she said.

I stared at her as she came next to me, picking up a chao herself. "This isn't real," I said, with a hint of disappointment.

Tikal shook her head, her smile slightly fading. "No, it is not. If I could take away all your pain and worries, I would, Sonic. But you will learn to face the demons that plague your mind."

"Did you just bring me here to get away from everything?" I asked. Knowing it was a dream didn't make it feel any less real.

Again, she shook her head. "I have come to speak with you about the battle you will inevitably have with Dr. Eggman."

"You have an idea how to beat him?" I asked. "We're really stuck."

"If you use the power of the Chaos Emeralds, Eggman will no doubt pull the same trick," Tikal said. "But I will be able to help you keep your super state and win the day."

"Really?" I smiled. "You mean we really are going to win?"

Tikal looked down, kicking at the ground. "I cannot promise that it will work. But it may be your only chance to save yourself and the world. If we fail..."

She didn't finish that thought. "A shot is better than nothing," I said.

Tikal nodded. "I will use all the power I have to neutralize the Master Emerald when Eggman orders Knuckles to dispose of your energy. But it will still be up to you."

"If I wasn't able to keep them last time, how will I next time?"

"You were taken off guard last time," Tikal said.

"Tell me about it," I muttered.

"The next time, you will know what's coming. You will have to hold your focus, convince the Chaos Emeralds that you need them more than the will of Master Emerald."

I blinked. "You're saying I need to be more powerful than the Master Emerald?"

"It's a very risky plan," Tikal said, her face reddening. "Fail again, and Dr. Eggman will end your life as well as the lives of your friends, no doubt."

"I don't know how else to beat a hundred Metal Sonics," I said, shaking my head. "You think it's possible, though?"

"You have power and a heart unlike any I've ever seen, Sonic," Tikal said, her smile returning. "If anyone has a chance, it is you. I can warn you before you feel the pull of the Master Emerald, and until then, do not share the energy of the Chaos Emeralds with anyone else. You will need all your strength."

"Will it use a lot of their power?" I asked.

Tikal nodded. "It will. You may be left with little to attack with, but it may be enough to at least significantly cripple Eggman's armies."

"I suppose you don't have any ideas that ensure an easy victory?"

Tikal laughed, a sweet sound that made me feel even more at ease. "I'm sorry, but this is all I can offer." Her face turned more serious again, and she looked at me with something akin to pity. "Resisting the Master Emerald will be difficult, Sonic. It will take time, and it will be agonizing."

"Sounds enticing now."

"I know I said this before, but if anyone can do this, it is you."

I thought for a minute, looking down at the chao. For some reason, maybe a bit of influence from Tikal, I pictured chao gardens that were dead and rotting, taking the life of an entire forest away with them. The one in my hands looked at me, oblivious to the danger we - or, at least, I - was in. I chuckled, wondering what it would be like to never have a single care in the world, not even know that the world around you was crumbling to dust.