Chapter 10 | What It Means To Be Brave

Comincia dall'inizio

She was trapped in time with no way home, like Dorothy in OZ, only this was her life. Fact, not fiction. In this story there was no evil witch with sparkling red shoes or an all powerful Wizard to send her home with a click of her heels.

Fiction.

This was real life, her life. Though Witches and Wizards could be found everywhere none were omnipotent. All power and magic had its limits.

Yes. She would grab this second chance at life and live it. She would live as she wished while trying her best to avoid affecting any major fixed points in time.

Newt. Remembering the man before her she pulled herself from her thoughts, straightening her back, eyes steady as they came to rest on his waiting form, her jaw set in a decisive line.

"My name is Hermione Granger, I was born on the 19th of September, 1979, in London, England. Daughter and only child of Dan and Jean Granger, two muggle dentists. An intelligent child beloved by her parents, a young girl who had no idea magic existed until the age of eleven when she was visited by an oddly dressed woman who identified herself as her soon to be Professor. This woman came bearing an acceptance letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." Hermione began, weaving a tale of days that had yet to come, of people that had yet to be.

"'Finally!' She thought, a place where she could truly belong. The odd little girl who loved books more than playing in the sand with the other children had finally found the place she was meant to be, surrounded by knowledge, wonder and others who held a taste for learning. On the 1st of September, 1991 the young girl began attending Hogwarts where she was subsequently sorted into Gryffindor house, despite having the choice to be sorted into Ravenclaw." She continued her tale, watching Newt's expression closely, his mouth hung open, eyes staring at her as though she was one of his beloved and most fantastic beasts.

"She already knew she was intelligent, that fact would never change. What the little girl truly wanted was to be brave and loyal, just like the heroes from the novels she read and loved so much growing up. How naive that young girl would prove to be. Hogwarts was not the dream she had believed it to be. True, it was beautiful, a castle like those found only in legend, magic and wonder filling the halls, creatures and beasts she once believed to be myth roaming free in the forest just beyond the school. Despite all this and more the dream would soon become a nightmare. She was not accepted, she did not belong. Muggle-born, the title hung heavy over her head, a disadvantage from birth in the eyes of many of the old families. Know-it-all, her intelligence and drive to succeed isolating her even more." She watched with a sad smile on her face as Newt's face falls, those wonder filled eyes dropping, pulled tight as though feeling her pain first-hand.

"Lonely and so very far from home she struggled to fit it, wishing to make friends. She wouldn't dare be greedy, just one would do. Finally on October 31st her wish was granted. She had just spent the day crying in the girls' bathroom after overhearing a young boy's unkind words about her when unbeknownst to her a Mountain Troll had entered the school through the dungeons." His eyes snap back up to her face, the mention of the Troll in a school full of children causing a small noise of fear and disbelief to escape his parted lips. Hermione's leather bound edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them tumbling from his fingers to the floor.

Now that's the reaction the teachers should have had... She thinks with a snort in her mind, a pause filling the air, punctuated only by sound of their breathing.

"The Troll made its way into the bathroom the young girl was currently occupying, the young boy who been so very unkind and his best friend noticed her absence at the feast before rushing to her rescue, saving her. Together the three faced off against the twelve foot Mountain Troll, managing to knock it unconscious by levitating its club to drop upon its head. When the teachers finally found them, the young girl lied. For the very first time in her life she skirted the rules and lied to an adult in a position of power. She told the Professors that she believed herself capable of fighting a fully grown Mountain Troll after having read a great deal about them, the two boys having merely come to help the foolish girl escape. From that point on the three became the best of friends, 'The Golden Trio' as they would soon be known. At long last the young girl made the friends she had so desperately wished for and finally, she learned what it meant to be brave. The three young children truly embodying what it meant to be a Gryffindor, members of the house of the brave." She finished with small smile, memories of Ron and Harry swirling her mind.