[ 07 ] the thanks they got

Start from the beginning

''They did what?'' My jaw drops open at the revelation, helplessly watching as she opens her mouth to repeat her words, but multiple figures appear through the doorway of the dropship almost immediately. I'm surprised, puzzled, disgusted. But my best friends have come to check on me, so I lift my hand into a welcoming wave.

''Emily!'' Their voices shout in creepily perfect sync and I can't help but finally smile as Monty and Jasper happily approach me, sitting down beside Octavia and I, while three other silhouettes rigidly linger behind them. My eyes slip over Clarke, Bellamy and Raven, hand tightly gripping Jasper's as Monty continues, ''You scared me, you idiot.''

''Me, too. God, I thought I'd never hear your lame jokes again,'' Jasper adds and I can basically hear the smile in his words as I'm locked into a staring contest with the three aforementioned people that stand in front of me.

With my voice steady and stare now set on Clarke, I flash a sarcastic smile for everyone to see, bitterness obvious in my tone and dripping down my tongue before I can control it, ''Well, apparently, I got saved. But that's thanks to Octavia.''

''How are you feeling?'' Raven's voice is unexpectedly soft, a stark contrast to how I picture her just moments before, torturing a man upstairs. I slowly tilt my head so I can glare daggers, anger slowly seeping into my frame.

''I don't know, fine, I guess? I mean, I'm probably doing better than that grounder up there,'' I purse my lips, jerking my head towards the ceiling shortly, ''How could you do that?'' Bellamy and Raven exchange uneasy glances with Clarke. I don't even look at the blonde anymore, fully aware she initiated the idea of torture. I feel a hand appear on my knee and I don't have to turn my head to know it's Monty.

''Look, Emily, you and Finn were dying–'' Clarke releases a sigh, but I don't quite let her speak yet.

''You tortured a living, breathing person!'' My voice raises an octave beyond my control, hand stretched out to the side in disbelief.

''He wasn't cooperating!'' Raven cuts in, eyebrows furrowing in plea.

''You don't just go around electrocuting people, or making holes in their hands!'' I snap, turning to look at Bellamy when he draws in a sharp breath.

''Look, princess, we saved your life!''

''Well, maybe you shouldn't have. If that's what it takes, then you shouldn't have saved me,'' I spit out, poison lacing every syllable that tumbles past my lips just now. Raven takes a disbelieving step towards me, as Octavia, who was staying quiet and whose eyes were trained on me throughout the exchange, even leans back to allow more space between the two girls.

''Emily, don't say that,'' the mechanic feverishly shakes her head, hurt flashing across her dark eyes.

''Look, he almost killed you, why are you defending him? Finn was much closer to dying, too,'' Bellamy argues, folding his arms over his chest. I hear Jasper inhale shakily next to me, his fingers beginning to play with mine as a distraction.

''That doesn't mean you have to take the same paths as the grounders do,'' I sneer, pushing past Raven once I stand up from the cot, Jasper and Monty silently following me in support of my still weak movements, ''You were being fucking selfish. You did that because you were afraid you would lose someone whose pants you're trying to get in. Clarke, you've known Finn for how long? Don't think I haven't noticed the way you act around him, even when Raven is there, too.''

Everyone looks absolutely caught off guard, scandalized, but I let the frustration get the best of me once again, ''Yes, exactly. And Raven, I know what it feels like; to lose someone you love. But I would never, ever do that to another human being. What if he has a family? A mother, a father, or a sibling or a girlfriend that loves him?'' I then address Bellamy. ''He's a human being that saved your sister's life, Octavia told you that herself! Did you think about that? What happened to you all? Clarke, you couldn't even inject that one boy on the Ark when your mother asked you to, because you knew needles hurt. Raven, you wouldn't even hurt a fly if those things existed on the Ark! I won't say anything about you, though, Bellamy, because you've already killed 320 people, what would be one more, right?''