Chapter 1

They say Ireland is full of mysteries and superstition, all from the legends and stories of the supposed magic hiding underneath those rollin' emerald hills. And it's because of these superstitions that ever since I was born, my life has been surrounded by people avoiding me at every turn, giving me sideways glances and chanting cruel things under their breath. I heard all the hushed whispers that I was a witch, I was a changeling who was working with the fae in Tir Na Nog to kill them or bring misfortune to them all as I hummed blissfully to myself, trekking down the cobblestone pathway from my family's cottage to the marketplace in the square. These looks and whispers continued when I walked through the streets to the village market, where people within our community were selling their spring produce. The smell of freshly baked breads, sweet rolls, honey products, beeswax, and the perfumed soaps filled the air alongside the sounds of the fowl and livestock being sold.

The warm springtime sun beat down on me as I walked into the market square, I wore a straw bonnet over my ebony hair to protect me from the sun rays and dressed in a light blue empire waisted dress as I was clinging to a wicker basket on my arm. Though everyone was obviously wasn't shutting their gobs about me as soon as I entered the market, I stayed focus on my reason for the trip here. Passing the fresh flower stand, I soon stepped up to a stand selling produce and flower seeds, perfect for our home's gardens.

I placed seeds for carrots, peas, and other produce. I smiled warmly as I passed the rose seeds, but saw the cost, my smile quickly fading at the price of £9.34. We only had enough for the produce seeds, as much as I would love to build a haven for myself among the sweet smelling flowers. I quickly turned my attention to the grouchy Lady Brunswick, who looked at me as if she'd eaten a sour grape. She was a short, gaunt, elderly lady, who had a permanent frown on her wrinkled face, her greying red hair tied back in a tight bun.

"And what're ye doin' here gal?" she barked at me with a contempt glare.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh, "I'm not here to cause ye any trouble, I'm just here te pay for my family's seeds for our produce."

I placed the basket on the table in front of her politely but with a stern look on my face.

Lady Brunswick let out a loud laugh that earned us the audience of everyone nearby, "Ye think I'm gonna sell ya these, huh? I will in me hole dearie! They're not for sale, specifically, ta you."

I stood there, annoyed, but willing to keep my composure. "Get away ourrah that! Lady Brunswick, I know we've had our differences, but these are fer ma family's garden. So we can actually have a harvest for the winter. Besides, ye sold a bushel of potato spuds to my sister Charlotte yesterday."

"I'll sell te Charlotte or Morrigan, not you. now don't test my patience Anna." she waved me off as she turned away from me to attend to other matters.

My temper started to rise at this, "Yer not gonna sell to me because why?"

She whipped around, her face getting red as she jabbed her finger into my chest and screamed, "Because I refuse ta sell to ya, that's why! I can report ye for attempted theft as well, I saw ye eyein' ma rose seeds. I know ye wanted te steal 'em!"

I felt a headache starting to come on by this, I had no time to deal with this, I stated as blandly and unenthusiastically as possible, "I wouldn't steal from anyone here Lady Brunswick."

"That's exactly what a thief would say. I'll bleedin' burst ye, you stole apples from me or did ye forget?!" she raged at me, jabbing her pointer finger at me, her face turning red with her raging and ridiculous accusations.

"I was five, ma'am." Back when I didn't understand how money worked, ya gom. I thought to myself.

"The price of a thief is to be marked a wicked person for life!" she stood on her tiptoes to attempt to intimidate me, but I kept a stiff lip as I gave her a coy smile, "Cassandra Brunswick, if I may be blunt, I feel ye need to check yerself of your own prejudices and hypocrisies, because God forbid another bairn approaches you that took their mother's life at birth or stole once when they were still innocent and came to your cart to purchase yer goods. Wouldn't ye look like an eejit then? It would run ye out of business in no time with ye turnin' 'em away. And keep yer banjaxed nose out of my family's affairs, we suffer enough in our home without nosy feckin' people like you actin' the maggot."