Ch 30. 'Ponnie's Point of View

Start from the beginning

"Thanks Grant."

"Don't worry about it-"

"Do you love him?" Éponine asked, pulling away from the hug. Grantaire just looked down. "Is that the real reason why you stopped drinking? The real reason why you started?"

Grantaire's Head went back as he chugged the content of his bottle. Everyone else rustled around them, and no one decided to question who the drunk was talking to. "Yes, Fine. I love him, I mean who couldn't? I didn't want to tell you, I mean, you are like my little sister. My annoying, drinking buddy, sister." Éponine laughed at that.

(A/N Grantiare: I KNOW MY 'SISTER' like I KNOW MY OWN MIND YOU WILL NEVER FIND ANYONE AS TRUSTING OR AS KIND!)

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. This is how it's suppose to be anyway. The guy ends up with the girl." With a sigh, he gulped the last bit of wine that was left in the bottle. "But I'm still going to be The Godfather, right?" Éponine laughed, wiping her tears from her eyes.

"Sometimes, if you love someone so much, you do whatever you can to keep them safe, to keep them happy. Enjolras does whatever to save you from everything in the world. Here you are, in the middle of a battle field, trying to keep him alive, keep him safe, even if it means not keeping you and your baby safe. I do whatever I can to make Enjolras happy, but I tend to fail. I support and tease his relations, knowing it annoys him but knowing it makes him happy in a way. To remind him of his love for you."

"I love him so much." Éponine said, staring at the back of a familiar red jacket. "I want to tell him, but I can't. Not right now." Grantaire chuckled dryly. The leader dressed in red walked away, and Éponine sighed.

"Trust me, he loves you too." Éponine pulled Grantiare into another hug. Another stray tear fell, and she hoped that he wouldn't notice. "He loves you more than anyone can comprehend."

"Liar!" A familiar voice shouted. Éponine let go of Grantaire as he went around the corner to see-

"Inspector Javert!" He whispered harshly. Éponine paled, crawling over to take a peek. "A snake in the grass." Grantaire muttered, walking over to all of the commotion. Éponine stayed where she was, but stood up. She must have looked like a little boy who was watching the rebellion unfold.

Enjolras said that the people would decide his fate, and when Javert broke free from Combeferre's grasp, Éponine jumped. If he recognized her, she would be done for. Someone grunted pain, and Éponine covered her mouth when she saw Enjolras brush the blood away from his nose. Javert must have hit him, and Éponine wanted to help him somehow. But she couldn't. She looked away when her husband brought a metal rod down onto the inspector.

———————————

Éponine wandered for a few more minutes. She managed to get a rifle to shoot with. She was never so grateful for that time when Montparssne taught her how to shoot a rifle and a pistol.

She waited for a fight, back pressed against a shattered piano. Éponine presses a broken key. She was surprised when it made a sound. It wasn't the sound it was suppose to make, but it was still beautiful in it's own strange life. "Hello, Monsieur." She heard a familiar voice said. Éponine turned  around, looking at the ground. She didn't want Enjolras to recognize her. She nodded.

"I-I've never been in the presence of someone with such passion and leadership." Éponine said, trying to look like a nervous boy who was struggling with the idea of fighting in a war. She heard Enjolras sit down next to her. Éponine just wanted to tell him everything right there, but bit her lip.