Chapter 5: Lost in Oblivion

Start from the beginning

Hermione climbs out of bed, and starts her morning routine.

***

She tightens the bow in her hair, and pats down the black knee-length black dress. With one last check to make sure her white stockings do not have any runs, the woman heads to the main room.

To the untrained eye, the one that does not know of her prowess, nor of her circumstance, this would appear to be Penny Rosary, the Halfblood maid-servant. With her welcomingly short stature at 4'11, and the long pin-straight brown hair tied into a neat, high ponytail, she appears every part the sweet little maiden. The rounded face, with excellent use of blush make her cherubic complexion all the more innocent. She wears a simple black maid outfit, complete with a doily-lace design apron tied with a large bow in the back. Her dark blue eyes, with large black pupils seem uncannily all-knowing, but very obviously unsuspecting.

With one last once over, she picks up her small red bag (with its Undetectable Extension Charm, of course) and heads towards a small door at the back of her living room, behind her sofas. With one small incantation, green fire tickles the bricked alcove behind that inconspicuous door. Her eyes reflect the neon colours a moment longer before she rests her hand on the edge of door frame. She glances back at her living, closing her eyes and allowing the indulgence of a single sigh.

With the burst of green, the flames die down and all is quiet.

***

"And just where do you think you're going?"

The maid quickly turns around. There is no point in being startled, and much less in showing an emotional response of fear. That would make her guilty, and give her reason to be punished. Besides, it would be pathetic for her not to be able to cover up emotions if she is to do this job properly for the Order.

"Why, nothing, Master McNair. I simply noticed there were a few more rooms that I may have missed dusting. This is such significantly sized manor for such a man indeed. Is there anything wrong with that?" She smiles a Barbie-doll smile, her voice oozing sweetness with every word she speaks. Her subtle sarcasm is undoubtedly lost on the man.

Walden McNair's expression, with the secretive smile and disparaging eyes, speak of arrogance in a knowing manner, though his proudly puffed out his chest gave away how little he actually received compliments. "Well now, are you supposed to go in there? I thought I've told you not to," his eyes narrowed, leering at the petite girl, "Perhaps I should punish you?"

His gaze drifts down her bodice before making its way up to rest on her bust. Well used to Death Eaters' unwelcome and unsettling advances, she does her usual.

She takes a step forward, looking up at the taller man from beneath her lashes, piercing his eyes with hers. The smile in her lips speaks of seductive secrets, while her leaning forward brings her chest closer to his. The man becomes engrossed in her look, unable to deviate his eyes from hers. They become wide in surprise and shock, his mouth opening and repeatedly licking his lips.

The mature and sultry gaze she gives him is unlike what he expected on the face of this virtuously childlike girl, and he loses himself in the confusion between the purity and stabbing honesty in her eyes and the playfully, naughtily smiling, deeply full lips.

She laughs a joyful laugh, (in her mind only, no doubt), and decides to play with him a little further. Biting the bottom corner of pouty lower lip she draws his gaze to them, watching him mimic the movement with his own lips like a puppy being hypnotized by the enticing bone. She breaks eye contact for only a second, this time returning his look with a different flavour. She turns the full force of her profoundly blue eyes to him, the striking innocence contrasts the depth of secrets stunning him further, his eyes falling dazed and being lulled adrift into her trance.