Chapter 1

" She's here Christopher " , my mom said. Well she is my step-mother but i still think of her as my mom. My mom died when i was ten, taking a part of me with her. I always feel her presence beside me always encouraging me to be a kind soul in this morbid world. My father who had his back facing me turned around. There was a look of immense fatigue on his face making me worry. As for my mom Matilda, she had a look of utter disgust on her face.

I self-consciously touched ny hair, realising that that my hair which i attempted to curl looked unruly and messy. My baggy shirt and pants were to the utmost detriment of my already horrible appearance. "It'll be alright", I whispered to myself. I plastered as big of a bright smile as i could on my face.

"Hello mom and dad, Parker said you needed me in the study room"
"You know i hate it when you call me mom, please call me by my name Sophie"
I could feel my heart constrict in my chest and tears prickling my eyes. "Someday you'll be loved unconditionally" , a tiny voice whispered in my head. A petite smile made its way to my lips.
"I'm so sorry, I will hence call you by your name Matilda"

Dad looked hesitant to talk to me. After a few moments, he finally broke the silence.
"Sophie, i hate to break it to you like that but our business is in shambles "
"Dear lord, i'm so sorry daddy"
I approached my father to hug him.
My father took a step back and continued on:
" The only way we can save our business is through a business merger with the DeLucas."
"Oh daddy,that's a great opportunity."
"Hear me out first. The business merger sounds very promising. But Riccardo DeLucas has one condition. You must marry his grandson , Nathan."
I remained silent. I'd have to marry a stranger. I'd have to give up on love. 'Who knows maybe he'd grow to love you', i thought. I'd seen Nathan DeLucas on the tabloids. I affirm that he's the most striking male i've ever seen in my whole nineteen years of living. He was thirty , eleven years my senior. Tan skin , black obsidian eyes and pounds of muscle , Nathan was pure man. He had an intense, almost dark look to him. He was so tall that he'd probably tower over me.

He didn't look like someone who would settle for an arranged marriage. Let alone to someone like me. How could he even settle for me , not so little plain old Sophie. I wanted true love. But i'd do this out of love for my parents.

"Alright dad, i'll get married to Nathan DeLucas, if that's what it takes to save the business"

My dad looked relieved and Matilda looked content with my decision.

" I still cannot comprehend the fact that Riccardo chose you to marry his grandson . I mean look at you, with your overblown curves to your horrible looks, you're nothing but a disgrace to us."

"Matilda, please stop taunting the child", my dad thankfully intervened.

I stood there looking at the floor and my hands fisted by my side.
"Riccardo has little time left to live Sophie, this wedding must happen next week itself. Nathan and i agreed that the marriage will last only for a year. Riccardo does not know about this discussion of ours and it'll be better if it stays that way."

" Alright daddy, next week it is then. Don't worry, no word will be said from my part on the duration of this marriage."
I just threw my dream away. My dream of faith, love and hope. Where i'll live with my loving husband in a cozy cottage by the sea. I didn't want much. Just someone who loves me without any boundaries. I forgot that i'm unloveable. Nobody will ever love me. Matilda says that i'm a curse to this family. My mom couldn't bear with me , that's why she fell sick. I'm just a burden to everyone. I know i'm incapable of being loved. Yet i still have this hope in my heart. That my dreams will come true someday.

Maybe Nathan will love me. Seeing him constantly on the news , i cannot deny that i'm infatuated with him. And now i'm getting married to him. Maybe time will tell its tale. Confused and my mind hazy with all sorts of feelings, i left the study room.

I sat by the window in my room watching the rain falling. My hand clutched the cup of hot chocolate. I took a sip and the warmth of the liquid comforted me instantly.

Whenever i was sad as a child, my mom made me hot chocolate and massaged my scalp. I still have the habit of making hot chocolate when i'm in distress. It has its own way of reminding me of my mother.

I tried my best to stay positive without thinking about the possible outcomes of this marriage.

So guys, how'd you find the first chapter ? Do let me know. Also, i know it seems that Sophie is a weak person. But she's not, trust me. She's just naive and innocent. Sophie believes that love heals everything. That's how she will be portrayed throughout the book.

Please don't forget to like, share and comment.