We disappeared into a tent at the end of the camp, the largest tent there. Len's mother marched, her head held high and her shoulders pushed back, to a large desk at the back. She gestured for me to sit at one of the high-backed chairs, and Len took a seat beside me. After pouring us both mugs of tea, she paced around the desk in circles, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Your name is Marlow?" She asked, her lips pointed out in a pout.

"Yes," I whispered, keeping my face pointed down, looking into the steam rising from my tea. I wanted to cry from how good the fresh mint smelled, wafting from the mug. I wondered if they had food at this camp, real food – not just granola bars. My stomach rumbled at the mere thought.

"How old are you, Marlow?" She leaned over the table, her palms pressed into the raw wood. With how intense her expression looked, it felt a lot like an interrogation.

I pressed my fingers to the ceramic mug, relishing the way it burned into my fingertips, the proof that this wasn't all a dream. "I'm fourteen years old." Tears welled in my eyes, all at once. I wasn't supposed to be here. I was supposed to be on a camping trip with my brother, a way to escape everything that had happened back at home. We'd run from the fire and into the flood, from tragedy to tragedy.

Her harsh expression softened, sympathy flooding her features. "Where is your mother?" She asked, voice calmer than before. "Who is taking care of you?"

My bottom lip poked out. Here were the tears, coming beyond my control. I tried to hold back, ignoring the burning feeling in my throat and the tip of my nose. "Dead," I choked out, my eyes frozen on the table. I could feel Len and his mother's gaze drilling holes in me, but I couldn't dare to face them. "It was just Eli and me, but Eli is gone. I don't know. I don't know."

"Len. Go get Marlow some food, okay?" Len's mother said, confident and commanding. I heard Len's chair squeak as he got up, but I didn't lift my gaze. I felt a soft hand land on the top of my head, smoothing back the ragged strands of my hair. "Marlow. My name is Alexia. I am the chief of this camp. We can help you."

I couldn't hold back the tears anymore, thick sobs leaving my throat in chokes and coughs. I tugged my hands through my hair, pulling out thick sections of knots and tangles through my fingers. Alexia pulled my hands away, instead using her fingers to work out the rough sections. Her smooth fingers against my scalp felt calm and caring, and I felt my cries subsiding, slowly.

"Can you tell me anything about yourself, Marlow? I don't know much about humans. Len is kind of the camp expert. Are they still complete harlots?"

I giggled, smiling through tear-stained cheeks. "I feel like I'm required to say we're not, but..."

"But what?" She laughed, sitting down on the chair next to me and sipping at Len's tea. "Well, maybe that was silly of me. You don't seem like a harlot."

"You guys look sort of like humans, though. What are you?" I asked, blowing on my own tea before I took a drink as well. The warm liquid calmed my burning throat. It felt strange, talking to Alexia. She'd gone from complete hostility to being the first comforting presence since Eli. I didn't want to feel safe, not until I knew Eli was too, but through mere existence, Alexia wouldn't let me get away with that.

"We're a lot like humans," Alexia admitted, brushing a strand of wavy hair behind her ear. "But we have a stronger connection to energy than you – what you call magic. Our souls are more tied to nature, I suppose. And it is our purpose to protect forests. We're called Symphia, people who are half human and half part of the wild."

"So you're like nymphs?" I asked, recalling the name from a book I'd read on mythological creatures.

Alexia furrowed her brow. "What is a nymph?"

"A spirit that protects forest and stuff, I think. But they're all girls."

"That's....strange." Alexia laughed, folding her hands together on her lap. "You humans are so silly! You almost got it right, but not quite."

Len walked into the room, a tray of food in his hands. He grinned at me, all confidence and soft edges. "I brought you the best we had to offer! Charred rabbit, fresh bread, and grilled vegetables. You better enjoy it." He set the plate down in front of me, looking at me expectantly.

"Thanks," I said, my voice thick. The food smelled incredible, and regardless, I was so hungry I would've eaten anything. I lifted up my fork and began to eat immediately, nearly choking from how fast I ate.

Watching me, wide eyed, Len grinned. "I'll assume that means you like it! Be careful not to eat too fast, you might get sick." I forced myself to slow down at his advice, mentally complaining all the while.

Alexia stood up, patting my back and wiping a smudge of dirt off Len's cheek. "I'll be back. I'm going to see if there's place for Marlow to sleep in the training tent. Len, stay here with Marlow. You're dismissed from chores, but just for today."

After Alexia left, I tried to hide a smile as Len did a victory dance. He hopped around the room, shaking his butt in the air and twisting his hips in a circle. He pumped his fists towards the ceiling and then glanced back at me to gauge my reaction. When he saw my amusement, he beamed, glowing in the spotlight.

"Oh, I hope you get the sleep in the training tent with me! I can introduce you to Evera and Briar and Lark." Len bounced back to sit next to me, propping his elbows on the table to watch me eat.

We sat in silence for a while, as I tried to pace myself through my food and Len tried to hide his excitement. I took the quiet moment to survey the tent, trying to memorize every detail I could. The brown canvas of the walls, the dark wood of the table. Shelves, stacked with books, and a rack filled with decorated swords and shields. Maps pinned to the walls of the tent, marked with tiny smudges of black. And Alexia, as she walked back in, her shoulders pushed back and her chin held high – the posture of a leader.

"You can sleep in the training tent, with Len. But first, we have some talking to do," Alexia said, her mercury eyes boring into mine.