A Disastrous Evening

James turned his car into the parking lot and shut off the engine. He and Lily sat still for a moment. James could tell that Lily was nervous, and after what he'd heard he had to admit that he was a bit nervous too. "Ready?" he asked Lily, still staring at the restaurant's entrance. Lily took a deep breath, and then nodded. "Yes." James unbuckled his seat belt and Lily followed his move. "Okay," James said. "Let's do this." They got out of the car and walked over and into the restaurant. The snow cracked under their feet. The restaurant looked fancy, and very expensive. Lily had said Petunia's fiancé had picked it, James assumed he was made of money. The restaurant's inside assured his suspicion. Lily spotted her sister quickly and walked over, with James in her heels. Beside Petunia, sat a large young man in a fine suit with a tendency of a moustache on his face. He didn't look too kind, both James and Lily thought. "Petunia!" Lily greeted in a high pinched voice. "Lily," Petunia replied in a forced, darker voice. "You must be Vernon," Lily gestured a hand towards the man at the table. The large man coughed. "Yes," he said shortly and shook Lily's hand even shorter. "And James," Petunia said to him where he stood, now beside Lily. James shook Petunia's hand, then Vernon's. "Pleasure," he said. Neither Petunia nor Vernon responded. James and Lily sat down opposite of them and took off their coats and scarfs. Vernon made a horrid face at the snow that fell off their clothes, but said nothing. No menus lied on the table. "Have you ordered?" Lily asked Petunia. She nodded. "Yes," Vernon stated. "We picked the best of the very best." James gave Lily a short look but she pretended she didn't see. "Oh, and what's that?" Lily asked curiously. Petunia coughed, even this was forced. "Turkey breasts with baked potatoes," she said. "It is Christmas." James nodded. "Certainty," he replied. "Sounds perfect." Lily gave him a short smile. "Have you been to this restaurant before then?" Lily asked, looking from Petunia to Vernon. Vernon looked almost offended. "You haven't?" he said shocked and almost disgusted. "It is the finest restaurant in a miles radius." Lily nodded slowly. "Ohh," she said. Vernon shook his head in disbelief. Petunia gave Lily a sharp smile. After a stiff pause, James changed the subject. "So, what do you do for a living?" he asked Vernon. Vernon brightened a little, looking pleased to be given the opportunity to speak about himself. "I'm an intern at Grunnings," he said proudly. James looked confused. "Grunnings? May I ask what that is?" He turned to Lily who gave him an unknowing smile. Vernon's face went red. "Grunnings happens to be the highest rated drill-making company in the entire country, I'll tell you," he spat. "Oh," James replied stunned. "I'm sorry," he added. He wondered about something more, but was unsure if he should dare ask or not. "An intern? Do those get paid? I thought they didn't..." James looked a little afraid to drop the question. Vernon looked like he would blow up from anger. "No, we don't. However, Grunnings gives bonuses, and this internship gives a highly valued position in the firm. With a very good salary," he added. Petunia smiled proudly. James nodded; he was too scared to open his mouth again. Lily smiled, trying to lose the tension. She looked to Petunia for help, in hope that she wanted the same as herself. Luckily it looked like she did. "Vernon bought a new car with the money from one of his bonuses," she said grinning with her out sticking teeth. She knew more talk about himself in a good light would make Vernon in a better mood. "Yes," Vernon agreed in a brighter voice. Petunia turned to him. "You should show them!" she said eagerly. Vernon looked pleased. His face had turned to a lighter red, this from flatter. "Oh well," he said like he was forced. "I'll show you," he said to James only, wanting to show off to this bastard who thought he could come into his way and insult him the ways he had. Lily and Petunia were left to themselves when Vernon led James outside.

"You see this -" Vernon said proud. "- This is a real car." It was a shiny brown Mercedes 450. "This year's model," Vernon added. James nodded, unsure what to say. "Looks good," he said eventually. Vernon grumbled. "It looks more than good," he protested. "Let me see yours then," he challenged James. James smiled. "Okay," he said and walked forward to his silver Mustang, that had the ability to fly. It was newly polished and James had just had the bonnet changed. It shone there it stood. It looked very good indeed. "This is mine," James gestured to the car and looked over at Vernon. Vernon gaped before he could control himself. Then he coughed. "Really?" he asked suspicious, not believing such a man could own such a car. "Show me." James chuckled before he realised Vernon was being serious. "Oh, you meant it," he said. "Well I left my keys inside." Vernon relaxed again, sure the man was lying. "I won't believe you before you show me." James sighed, then said, "Fine, wait here." He ran into the restaurant and got his keys. Lily and Petunia sat there stiffly and chatted modest. Lily gave James a confused look, but he didn't feel like explaining this ridiculous situation. He grabbed his scarf too, it was really cold outside.

When James got out again, Vernon still stood where James had left him. He didn't look like he was freezing, and James couldn't help but wonder if it was his anger or his not-few-layers of extra fat that kept Vernon warm. James unlocked the car. "There you have proof," James said to Vernon. Vernon looked furious. "And may I as how you got the hold off such thing," Vernon spat at James. James was tired of this. "I happened to get this car from my dad - who bought it himself," James added just in case Vernon would accuse his father of theft, which wasn't unlikely. Vernon just grumbled again. "Let's go in," he said angry. James walked up and before him into the restaurant doors.

Inside, the food had arrived at the table. Both Lily and Petunia looked very relieved that their partners were back. "This looks delicious," Lily stated. Petunia hummed. "It is." They started to eat. Half way through the meal, Vernon felt tired of not speaking highly of himself or down at others. "James, tell me, where exactly are you from?" James finished chewing. "I am not from anywhere around here," he said, but as that didn't seem to please Vernon as an answer, he continued. "I'm from Godric's Hollow," he said. Vernon shook his head in confusion. "It's not odd if you haven't heard of it," James continued. "Only people from the Wizarding World live there." Vernon turned dark red again. "SHHH!" he spat at James, this time literally, with small pieces of turkey. He looked around the restaurant to see if anyone had heard this nonsense. "Sorry?" James offered questioning, not really sure why mentioning where he was from was such a bad thing. Minutes went before anyone said anything. When Vernon had calmed himself again, he was ready for another try. He didn't seem to get tired of digging for something disparagingly to speak about James. "What kind of house do you live in?" Vernon went on. "Do you live by yourself?" James took a sip of water before answering. "I live in my parents house, which is three floors but old, if that's what you mean," James said. "Aha!" Vernon shouted pleased. "You still live with your parents." That was something to start with at least. "I don't, actually," James said. "My parents are both dead, quite recently," James said holding his voice steady. Lily reached for James' hand and squeezed it. Vernon dropped his grin, looking discomforted by how he probably should look like he was sorry for this bastard. Vernon tried a twisted mouth. "Well," Vernon continued, not wanting to quit. "Did they leave you poor, son?" he pushed. James was stunned by such question. "Excuse me," Lily started, but James interrupted her. "No Lily, it's okay." James was sick of Vernon's game and wanted to show him. "My parents left me more than enough of money and blessings," James started. "The car," James nodded towards the doors of the restaurant. "A big, old but valuable, house, a property outside of Godric's Hollow, big that too, worth a lot of money," James tempted Vernon. Vernon shrugged. "What's a lot of money if you don't make them yourself," he said seeming bored. James coughed. "I do earn money myself," he argued. "Quite a lot too. I've just gotten a job in our ministry," he said, not wanting to utter The Ministry of Magic after Vernon's last reaction to the mention of the Wizarding World. "Probably earning more than anyone in an internship does," he spat back at Vernon. "For a drill-making company." Lily gasped a little. Petunia gasped much more. Vernon just got redder and redder. "You... You.. You!" Vernon couldn't even speak. He rose, almost overturning the table with his big stomach. Be grab his coat that was hanging on his chair. "I will not have any more of this!" he shouted at James, and Lily and Petunia. "I will not have it!" The whole restaurant had turned to see what was going on. "Petunia, we are leaving, NOW!" he yelled and was already storming to the doors. "I have never! Insulted like that by a man like that! It's disgusting! It's worse than that! It's repulsive!" James and Lily couldn't hear him anymore, as he was out the doors and long gone. Petunia gave both James and Lily a stare of loathe. "I can't believe it!" she whined and ran after Vernon through the doors. "Vernon! Honey!" she shouted after him. James and Lily were left alone with the table shocked. James hadn't expected such an explosion. They looked at each other. "I'm sorry," James began. They just stared at each other a little longer and then Lily started crying. She was shaking. James tried to comfort her the best he could. "I'm so sorry," James said. "But that man was a serious challenge." Lily wiped her tears. "Let's drive home," James said and held around Lily. "To your place." Lily nodded into his chest. James had to fix the bill. The staff was very nice to him, and told him that they would just keep Petunia and Vernon's split on their account for later, as they so frequently visited. James was glad, he didn't really want to spend anything on Vernon. Then they walked out the doors, James with his arm around Lily. Lily had stopped crying. "It's okay," she said to James eventually. "It wasn't really your fault," she sobbed. James kissed her hair and they got into the car. James secretly hoped they would never see the man again. Lily secretly hoped so too.