Chapter 3- Words Like Knives

Beginne am Anfang

      “Wow. Mom, that’s great, really.” Connor is the first one to speak. He still sounds just as shocked as I feel.

        It wasn’t like we weren’t happy for her or anything, it just that we were starting to think she was going to live a life of solitude for the rest of her years. She hasn’t dated since the divorce.

        “So, who is the guy?” I manage to ask after Connor nudges me in the arm to say something.

        Mom blushes. It’s something I’ve not seen her do in years. “You know Sandra, right?” We nod. Of course we do. Sandra has been mom’s best friend since before she met my dad. Her and my dad only met in college, but her and Sandra date back to high school. “Well,” she continues. “Her brother Marshall works with this physical trainer at the gym I go to and yesterday after I was finished working out Steven asked me out. Marshal says he’s a good guy and I should give him a chance.”

        I blink a few times and start to smile. “Hold on. You mean he saw you after you were all sweaty and smelly from working out and still wanted a date with you? I say he’s a keeper. At least now he won’t be disappointed when he actually sees you on a normal day. It’s all uphill from here.”

        “This is true,” Connor adds.

        Mom giggles. “You think?”

        I answer for us. “We do.”

        It’s interesting seeing mom like this and I start wonder if this is how she was in college when she met my dad. I could easily see her being an over excited teenager getting ready for a date.

       “I’m so nervous,” she says. “What will I wear? I haven’t been on a date since before I was married.”

          “For starters,” I begin, “I don’t think you should wear anything in your closet. With ever new guy, there should be a new outfit too.” Everything my mom owns is from her pre-divorce era. Boring. Most people go out on a post-divorce shopping spree- my mom never did. At least, that’s what Krista said about her mom. I think it’s long overdue for my mom.  “I think you should buy a whole new wardrobe.”

         “Summer! I don’t plan on going on that many dates.” She looks at me as if I’ve lost my mind.

          I wave my hand.“Irrelevant. You’ve finally entered the dating world again. It’s time for a change. You need a whole new everything.”

     She whips around and looks into my full body mirror on the wall and examines herself. “Everything,” she echoes. She bites her inner cheek and spins around twice. “Maybe.”

        “This conversation seems more like Summer’s thing. I’m going to go the living room and watch some TV and finish my food,” Connor says picking up his plate and standing. I forgot he was in still in the room.

        My mom quickly turns to face us again with a panicked look in her eyes. “Wait! I need one of you to go to the mall with me tomorrow and help me get a ‘new everything’.”

      “Again, that’s more Summer’s thing than mine. I’m sure she’ll be happy to go with you.” He sends an amused look over his shoulder and leaves the room with me and mom completely alone.

       She’s looking at me with desperate eyes and I don’t have the heart to say no to her. She’d be lost without me. “Okay, Mom. I’ll go. But I have just one requirement first.”

        “Okay. What?” She looks excited now.

        “You have to listen to all my suggestions and take them under extreme consideration or else this will all be for nothing.”