Chapter One

Ruby POV

I thought it was sneaky when I snuck out from behind the counter into the cat section of our pet store, the Cat Corner, and fell asleep.

I was wrong when I was woken up to a harsh knocking on the door.

"Shit." I mumble getting up, careful not to wake the elderly cat beneath me.

I inched over to the door and opened it meeting my angry boss face to face.

"What. Are. You. Doing." He growled.

"I..uh..." I stammered trying to think of an excuse.

"Ruby!" He exclaimed. "I'm just playing!" He started laughing, probably at the expression on my face.

"Awe, your face." He laughed. "Priceless."

"Yeah I bet." I rolled my eyes smiling.

"No but really, what are you doing in here?"

"I was playing with the cats." I lied.

"Playing with them in your dreams maybe." He smirked.

"Ah okay. Sab rat me out?" I asked.

"No actually. I could tell by how quiet it was."

I smacked my face forgetting the cats calm down when I'm in there.

"Thought you were slick there huh, champ?" He asked walking next to me towards the front counter.

"Thought so yea." I chuckled.

"Well, Slick, go entertain the dogs for me." He said turning into his office.

"Will do." I say turning in the opposite direction.

"Oh and," He stuck his head back out of his office, "I'll work on that raise you were asking for." He smiled at me.

"Awe really!!" I exclaimed. "Yes!" I fist pumped the air.

"Unless you aren't back with the dogs in three, two..." I started running to the back door when I heard the door jingle.

I turned around and nearly fell over.

Sapphire Frost just walked in the only pet store in the Ocean City, Beach City area.

A younger girl popped out from behind her holding a middle aged woman's hand.

"Excuse me sir!" The middle aged woman called out to me.

I stood staring until I realised the woman was talking to me.

I cleared my throat and walked over to her.

"Hi! Welcome to Pet Tree what can we shake for you today?"

Sapphire giggled at the stores slogan while the woman, I'm assuming is their mother, talked to the little girl.

The little girl waddled towards me. "Hi I want a puppy."

"Please." Sapphire and her mom said in unison.

"Please." The little girl repeated.

"Of course." I laughed a little, "Follow me."

I led them to the Puppy Playhouse.

"This is the Puppy Playhouse. It's where all of our one month old to about eight months old puppies are. Did you want a small puppy or a big puppy?" I asked the little girl, crouching down to be eye level with her.

She looked back at her mom.

"Well? Tell what size puppy you want, Garnet."

She turned back to me and asked softly, "Which one is a better puppy?"