Chapter 1

I

I pack the final things into my boxes, forcefully stuffing it in so I can close the lid. I look around the room, making sure that I didn't forget anything important, and as I do, my arms start hurting. I quickly stop putting force and grab unto the top of my arm where a once bluish bruise is healing carefully. I didn't fully heal yet from the injury my father put me through (being only three weeks ago) but the good thing is that I am healing, both mentally and physically;that is the good thing. The other good thing is that I am leaving. School has ended and so did my school time. I didn't get the graduation I hoped for—being half dead and in a partial coma at the hospital with IV's spouting out from every direction—but I am glad I am done with school. Sure I am going to miss the important people, like my friend, but no one else. Not even the devil that is Damian. The truth is, Damian sort of gave up after what my father did to me. I guess he realized how fucked up my family is. I don't blame him, though. I am glad that I didn't drag him through this hell with me, I don't think he could've handled it.

"You ready to go?" Adrian comes into my room. I turn around with the box in my hand and nod gently. "Good! Let's start to get going. We need to beat the traffic."

"Yeah. Let me just put this in the car." I tell him, walking past him and down the stairs to his car. He follows behind me quietly, and it feels like he is ready to jump in to help me if anything started to hurt again.

He left the trunk open for me to put my stuff in, and I fill up the final open space that is within. I close the trunk and walk back in to say my final goodbyes to my house and to my mother.

"Mommy!" I yell from the foyer, and my mom emerges from the dining room. She looks at me with a smile, a gentle one, and hugs me with such a force that I never felt before. I hug her back too, but now it is hurting. "Mom, you are hurting me."

"Oh shut up. You've grown up so fast. God knows how lonely I'm going to be without you guys, but it's for the better. It's for the better." My mother starts weeping within our grasp and I can't help but cry too. It is hard to see everything she worked for crumble right in front of her feet. I mean her husband was a fuck up, and I know down deep inside she knows that we are fucked up. I mean it isn't everyday that someone just leaves with their brother to basically be a married couple. I just hope she knows that it is more than just sex between us, but actual love that we slowly started to realize we couldn't do without. Adrian and I need each other, we can't live without each other now.

"What's with this cry fest?" Adrian laughs. We laugh with him when we see how weary we look. My mom gives me a final kiss and we both wipe our teary eyes to look normal again.

"We done here?" Adrian asks again, and my mom just slaps him on his shoulder. I roll my eyes at him too, trying to make him realize that this isn't a game.

"You better drive safely, Adrian. I don't want you two dying from a simple car accident. Not after what has happened." My mom says with concern on her face.

"Don't worry, mommy." I step in the conversation. "I'll make sure he doesn't loose control." I walk up to Adrian and hold his arms with affection.

"Well, I don't know about that. I mean I will be looking at you the whole time and cause an accident." Adrian flirts. It is weird how he does it naturally now in front of our mom. She doesn't care anymore, but it still feels weird that we are brothers who are in love.

"Well, go now." My mother starts pushing us to the door. "The traffic gets heavy around this time." We both laugh at the minor force our mom was pushing us with. Hell, just a couple days ago she was begging for us to say, now it seems like she wants us out of her life for good. We are probably bad luck charms to her, I think we always have been in general.