2

You were in front of the door to your home. After deciding that your normally-calm park visit had been way too exciting, it seemed best to just go home.

Hoping to all good forces that Mom's new boy-toy wasn't inside, you open the door.

No cigarette smell.

No scattered clothes.

No sickening noises.

'Great!' You thought triumphantly. 'No stupid boyfriend!'

To celebrate, you went to the kitchen for a bowl of cereal. Dry cereal, of course. Cereal in milk seemed like some horrible ancient mistake.

As you enjoyed your celebratory meal, Mom came from her room, looking like a truly hot mess.

"Oh, hello Sweetie... How was your walk...?" She asked tiredly.

Mom wasn't neglectful. She was just constantly tired from juggling her job, boyfriends, and only child. Normally, that resulted in half the time of you seeing her, she looked like she just woke up.

"Hey Mum. It was fine. I met an old classmate at the pond." You purposely made it sound like the events from earlier weren't something to be concerned about.

"That's nice. Was it Tobias?"

Tobias was the HORRIBLE RAT-FACED SADISTIC NEVER-TO-BE-TRUSTED-AGAIN STINKWAD that you had been upset about when you arrived at the pond. Whenever you spoke to Mom (or Mum as you sometimes called her) about him, you made it seem like he was just a nice school friend, and not your boyfriend. It wasn't that you weren't allowed to have a boyfriend, you just hadn't wanted to introduce him to Mom yet.

Welp. No need to worry about that anymore.

"No, it wasn't Tobias. Remember that kid that spray-painted 'Skool is 4 CHUMPS!' on the literature teacher's car?"

Mom thought. "Was this the same one that dyed his hair blue and red, and tried to impersonate Harley Quinn to take kids' Halloween candy?"

"Nonono. I meant the one that brought brought the llamas to school. For the science fair?"

"Oh, Lucas! I thought he moved away."

"He dropped out. How was the new position interview?"

As you continued your conversation, you had the strangest feeling of wanting to go back to the pond. The fact that someone actually took the time to take rocks from the pond, and put them back on its bank for you, was just so odd. So weird... and kinda creepy...

How intriguing!

Mom yawned. "I gotta get to bed. I work 'til closing, tomorrow."

You were used to this. "Alright then. 'Night Mum. Love you."

"'Night, Baby."

Mom went back to her room.

You decided to hit the hay, too. After taking a shower and brushing your teeth, you went to your room.

Before hopping into bed wearing an old tank top and shorts, you took a look at yourself in the mirror above your dresser.

"Mm mm... (insert name) you are looking as good as ever." you said to your reflection. "The absolute most fine specimen of all (insert animal)s."

There were always times where you didn't exactly see yourself as good looking. But at the end of the day, you already knew that you were FABULOUS.

"Too bad that the only other person besides Mum and I to ever know of this beauty is a complete turd. Stupid Tobias Winston..."

Trying to think of something (anything) else, you get into bed.

Argument.

Screaming.

Glass smashing.

They're at it again. They never stop fighting.

I want my parents back. I miss how things used to be.

You partially wake up, confused, sad and nostalgic. Everything was fine until the arguments started.

At the memory of your old life, when the family was whole, you begin crying.

Mom used to comfort you, until the new job hours and stupid, stupid boyfriends came along. Now, she didn't have the time for your nighttime troubles.

And Dad...

Dad...

You cry more.

Suddenly, there's someone's arms wrapped around you.

The arms are warm. And strong. You're still too tired to fully understand what's happening, but you feel safe.

A hand rubs your arm to comfort you, and slowly, you become sleepier (is that a word?) again.

"Sh... It's okay... No one's gonna hurt you...you're safe..."

That voice wasn't too familiar. But you're too tired to care. Calm again, you fall back into slumber.

Right before you lose consciousness, something soft touches your forehead. The familiar-feeling gesture makes you smile just a bit.

"You're safe..."