Chapter 2 (1st Draft) 2632

Alice was altogether surprised by the youthful man before her. She had expected that the Chief Inspector would be a man of more mature years - a man with much experience. However, the man before them now was only in his mid or late thirties. She wondered if he received the position due to nepotism, which was a common practice, or because he had a brilliant mind and was more capable than any other for the post. Given though, that this line of thought was unladylike, Alice set her curiosity aside as she took in his general appearance.

There was no doubt he was a gentleman given his immaculate attire. He wore a fashionable black frock coat with charcoal grey trimming and matching waistcoat with checkered trousers. Alice noted his collar and cuffs were a bright white, starched and in good condition, which indicated he had a man who laundered and cared for his clothes. He also sported a perfectly tied ascot cravat. Despite that it was not exactly in fashion, it looked marvelous with his waistcoat and trousers and complimented his entire look. 

In other words, his dress was impeccable. her mother could not find fault with it. Why, her own brother or father would be hard pressed to dress better or look more a gentleman than he Alice mused. He was nothing like the image of a Detective Chief Inspector, which Alice's mind had formed in the half hour she waited with her mother before his introduction. Secretly, she was pleased by his young-ish appearance and glad that she was presented to him in her new frock, which she knew was very becoming.

Alice took in his face. It was clean-shaven, which was a great oddity because it was starkly contrary to fashion. Most men sported, at the very least, a mustache as her older brother did. Men were fastidious about growing beards and whiskers. Her own father sported wide bushy side burns that he grew to the edge of his mouth. He left his lips and chin free of hair. He once teased Alice and told her it was easier to kiss her mother without the extra whiskers.

Mr. Southwell's shaven face gave him a youthful appearance, but that youthfulness was tempered by the serious set of his eyes and the frown lines on his broad forehead. Alice supposed, if he smiled, he might be a very handsome man. He certainly had a very pretty pair of light brown eyes - the colour of polished bronze - and very dark hair, which she found appealing.

She had grown up in a household of fair haired and blue-eyed people. Besides her eldest brother, who shared the same colouring as herself (except his eyes were a more complimentary hazel rather than a misplaced sea blue), her mother, father and two younger brothers, not to mention most of her aunts, uncles and cousins, had pale complexions, blond or light brown hair and blue or greyish coloured eyes.

Alice always felt a keen pleasure when she looked upon a person, child or adult, who was dark haired and brown-eyed. They had an almost romantic appeal for her. She wondered, momentarily, if her mother would think Mr. Southwell handsome.

She might, Alice mused to herself, if she also happened to notice, as Alice had, that he was not wearing a wedding band. It seemed that the mysterious Mr. Southwell was a fashionably dressed gentleman bachelor.

Alice, for her part, was both embarrassed and ashamed that she had even noticed. She was not in a hurry for her mother to realize the man was yet unattached. That revelation would likely loosen her mother's scowl and soften the woman toward the inspector. But, at what price?