Celebration (RW)

RW-Real World

(This may be late, but there will be heavy mentions of suffering with PTSD and will be caused by fireworks in this story. If I may have made a mistake please kindly tell me what I did wrong in the comments.

Thank you and enjoy.)

——————

The noises.

Dear god those horrid noises.

Every year it happened, no matter where they moved, there was always someone who just had to set off fireworks across the street, or downtown, or even in the park beside the current home they reside in.

Steve clutched fistfuls of dark brown hair, his eyes shut tightly as he rocked on his toes from his sitting position on the side of the tub.

Every fucking year

(Name) should be home soon... soon... soon soon soon soon...

"Steve! You home honey?"
A sigh of relief came before he flinched as another went off. Another tear streamed down his cheek and he took in jagged and harsh breaths. The footsteps up the stairs made his skin crawl and he looked around for something to arm himself with, settling for a small vase as he stood and prepared himself for the enemy to barge in and steal him away.

He wouldn't go out like his brother did.

"Baby?"
Only the sweet voice of his husband rang in his ears, Steve gulping down his fear as the vase was still tightly held in front of him, ready for defense if he was just being tricked.

What if the enemy was just using his own husband as a decoy and they were already surrounding his own home? What if-

(Name) cracked open the door and looked upon his husband with worry, pushing it further as he let himself in slowly. He knew how to handle Steve in a situation like this. He was fearful for his life so any sudden movement could throw him into soldier mode again.

This was the fourth time in the past two days.

"Steve. Look at me, it'll be okay. They are just fireworks baby."

Steve shook in fear as he averted his eyes around the room, leading out the window as the colorful lights filled the sky.

And the loud boom followed shortly after.

A small hitched gasp came from Steve as he shut his eyes tightly again. (Name) softly spoke to him before raising his hands.

"I'm right here. I'm not leaving, you're back home with me baby. Hold my hands sweetheart and we'll get you downstairs away from the noises."

Steve nodded, his hands horribly shaky as he brought them to (Name)'s, said man gently removing the probably now cracked vase from his large and scared hands. Yet, once they made contact, he visibly relaxed immensely with the gentle touch of his husband's hands.

"There you go, now deep breaths. Just like the nurse said, deep breaths honey."

(Name) gently gave encouraging words as he lead Steve out of their upstairs bathroom one step at a time. Little by little they made it to the kitchen where (Name) gave Steve a glass of water to help him.
The glass shook from Steve's uncontrollable shivers as he drank, his husband helping him by making sure he didn't drop it and have to start all over again.

—————

In the basement the noises were heavily muffled, the insulation covering the walls helping with the process of doing so as (Name) softly hummed a song to Steve while they watched his favorite cartoons on a dvd set.
Steve shifted on the couch, picking up (Name) as he moved them onto his lap so they could face him whilst straddling his legs.

"Feel a little better?"
(Name) spoke in a hushed tone, running a slow hand through Steve's messy hair.

"Yeah. I do."

A soft hum of happiness came from (Name), him leaning over to gently pepper Steve's hot face with kisses as the man giggled happily underneath of him.