"Play it," Cale said.

"Get your own music," Rile retorted.

"You owe me."

"I do not."

"I scented you and Alex a mile away last night. Do you think you got past Gabe on your own? I distracted him until you entered our apartment."

"Fine." Rile hit play.

The brothers listened in grim silence. When it finished, Rile stopped the musicl

"I found Alex's theme song," said Rile.

"That's horrible," Cale replied. "It's supposed to be a warning. Play the other songs."

*****

Gabe walked into their apartment hours later to find Cale slumped on the couch, alone, hide paled, wings covering his face. Alarmed, he rushed to his middle brother and gripped his shoulders.

"Cale, what's wrong? What happened? Where are you hurt?"

Cale shook himself out of his reverie and furled his wings. "I'm not physically hurt. I listened to Alex's music and it wounded my soul."

"How does music do that?" Gabe sat next to him.

"Rile asked Alex for her music so that he could learn about her. He was right."

"Rile was right?" Gabe didn't hide his disbelief.

"Yes, he was," Cale said in rare anger. "You shouldn't dismiss him out of hand. Maybe if you cared enough about Alex, you would listen to her music as well." Cale stood up. "Excuse me."

"Since when do you talk to me that way?" Gabe stood as well.

"Since Father died," Cale said. "Since our whole clan was murdered and you're acting crazy around Alex."

"I know what I'm doing," Gabe replied, posture stiff. "Don't question me."

Gabe watched as Cale stalked out. Gabe then walked into their bedroom to find Rile lounging on the bed, staff at his feet.

"Rile, I want to listen to Alex's music." Gabe loomed over his brother.

"How's it feel to want?" Rile didn't look up from his tablet.

"I wasn't asking you a question."

"I wasn't answering one. I was asking you one." Rile stood and laid his tablet by the bed. He stood muzzle to muzzle to Gabe. "You want Alex's music? Fight for it."

"What?" Gabe pushed him away.

Rile picked up his staff. "Sparring, Perfect Eldest Son. Let's go." Rile snatched up his tablet and walked to the training room, which was simply half their living room that they had partitioned. Once there, he plugged it into the small speaker and turned to face Gabe.

Gabe plucked a staff from the staves on the wall. Rile tapped the screen and Gabe was assaulted with sound as well as Rile's staff. Gabe received a hard knock from his youngest brother before his defenses went up. He blocked the next few thrusts but a change in the loud music startled him and Rile swept his feet.

Gabe landed hard but rolled before Rile could land another strike. Gabe scrambled to his feet and Rile swatted him. Gabe hiss-growled and launched himself at his youngest brother. Rile back stepped, staff a blur, clacking against his enraged brother's.

"Maybe this one's about you," Rile taunted as the words to "Untouched" filled the air. He landed a strike on Gabe's arm as his brother listened.

"Shut up," Gabe hissed.