Darling It's Better, Down Where It's Wetter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Start from the beginning

I swam easily to the surface, despite his weight.

His friends were still on the beach, much louder now. My sensitive ears rang at the combination of their rapidly intensifying fear and the raging storm above. I shook my head wildly to clear the thoughts, sending out a spray of salt.

Keeping him above the water, I worried over where to put him without them seeing me. I doubt they'd leave until they had their friend back, but...

If I revealed myself, I'd probably get kicked out of the tribe, or worse. It was never really clear what the punishment was, considering no one had done it in forever. The Statute of Secrecy was of utmost importance.

I shook my head. They'd have to wait.

~le time skip brought to you by take-backsies~

I brought him back to my own cave. One the others didn't know about, far enough from the palace to be virtually invisible. I gently laid him on the rocky ledge just out of the water. I hoisted myself out just enough to stay above him. He wasn't breathing. My hands fidgeted in frustration. I didn't know nearly enough about humans to know what to do in this situation. Would normal healing songs work on him? Sirens and humans were so strikingly different there was no way to be sure. Not to mention no one had ever saved one before. That was unheard of. I felt a pang in my heart again. And forbidden, considering it could also violate the statute.

But... if he never saw me, then it wouldn't be a violation, right?

I nodded to myself and began to sing.

All of our songs were so hauntingly beautiful. They had no words but why would we need any? The notes flowed naturally out of my mouth, my slightly webbed fingers hovering over his body.

He coughed up water and I abruptly stopped, a note stuck in my throat. Seal guts! I grabbed the seaweed usually wrapped around my bicep and tied it around his head, covering his eyes and effectively shielding me from view. I smiled, proud of myself.

He began to move and I was curious again. What would he do? He immediately sat up. "What... on?" he said something, most of the words too fast for me to piece together. I frowned, hating that I didn't fully understand human dialect. Our language was similar, but had select elements that set it apart. I felt a surge of determination. I'd studied humans enough to at least hold a simple conversation. Besides, now was the best time to learn more.

"Ah... are... you okay?" I spoke quietly, unsure of myself and not wanting to screw up. I cringed at how inexperienced I sounded.

He seemed to understand, though. He was quiet for a beat. "Did you save me?"

"Mm." I hummed. "Your friends not here."

This made him frown. "Then where are we? And why on Earth can't I place your accent?"

I smiled but paused. Where were we? That was a good question. One I didn't know how to answer like a human. "Safe." I managed.

He sighed, "Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm sure I can trust you if you saved me..." he scratched his neck, "Dunno why I can't see." His hand reached for the seaweed and I stopped him, holding his hand back.

"You... uh... you can't." I said.

"Why not?" he asked incredulously.

I shook my head. "I take you back to beach." My grip on him tightened and I slid back into the water. I was about to leave before I remembered and turned to him. "Deep breath." I paused, waiting for him.

He opened his mouth to presumably ask more questions but stopped himself, following my direction instead. I smiled.

I had to swim much slower with him, taking frequent breaths so he didn't suspect anything. We eventually returned to the beach and he collapsed from fatigue. I winced.