Safe With God

Guys, this isn't really a poem, but I wanted to share with you the letter I'll be writing to put into my Great Grandmother's coffin tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Dearest Nana,

              I miss you, so, so much right now. I'm really upset that you're gone, but I am happy that you are finally out of your suffering. I can't stand the thought of you being in pain. Knowing you, you wouldn't have liked it the way your life was going anyways. But thats all fine now. You're with Jesus now.

               I wish I could have said something to you the last time I saw you. I wish I could have said something better than, "Goodbye, Nana. I love you," as my last words. I wish it didn't have to be this way. but that's life.

               In my life, you were the closest person to me besides my parents and my sister. I loved you so much, and now, I wish I spent more time with you than I did. Then again, if I did so, it would make it all the more harder for me to keep going than it is now. I think you would want to be happy more quickly anyways. But I still wish I spent more time with you in the last few years of your life.

              I remember many of your stories well. You would tell them time and time again, and frankly, those are my favorite stories. Not just the stories you would tell Autumn and I before we went to sleep every Friday when we were younger, but the stories you told of when you were younger. The stories of how your step-mother poured angry red wasps down your back, the story of your first doll and how the old Sow ripped it to pieces. I enjoyed those very much.

            Those will always be some of my strongest memories of you; the ones from when I was small, the ones where you were still healthy. I'll miss those times more than ever. I'll miss them more than anything.

            But, all good things come to an end. For a while, at least. It'll be a long time before I see you again, and when I do, you'll be beautiful again. You'll have your brown hair again, instead of the gray-ish white hair that was with you in the end. Your wrinkles will be gone, you won't need your glasses, and best of all, your health problems will all be gone! Isn't that great? When I die, too, I'll finally be able to see you as the woman you were long before I was born.

           I'll treasure these memories close to my heart. I wish I could have you here still, but that's not the way you have wanted it. You're safe now, safe with God.

                                            With Love and Cherisment,

                                                               Shauna.