Chapter 1: Mixed messages

“Aw, luckily we can catch up over the holidays.”

“Maybe I can take you out.”

She looked at me funny. “Jake...remember what I said before?”

I held my hands up. “Just a friendly outing.”

“Cool. Gosh, I’m starving, grab me four chicken breasts.” I threw them onto a plate and gave it to her. Yes, body of a goddess, appetite of a pig— totally hot. We ate our food in silence and had a brief food fight before we followed a side crowd into a suite bedroom.

Craig had gone outside to play pool and there was about ten of us in this room. Two couples started making out, some went on their phones and that just left about five of us standing there.

Maxine, being her usual outgoing and fun self, stepped forward and proposed a game. “Spin the bottle slash seven minutes in heaven.” Everyone seemed to pay attention to that and the game soon began.

A bunch of people I didn’t know sat beside me and I was sitting across from Maxine. “No pulling out at the last minute guys, even if it’s boy on boy.” She’d looked at me and I’d flipped her off. She smirked. Everyone else was either nervous or excited. Maxine had her hair tied up in a bun and when she’d ripped the band off, lustrous curly locks tumbled past her shoulders. She twisted the band round a glass beer bottle, rolling it down to the middle. Her and her physics.

“Right, let’s play!” a guy I’d never seen before cheered.

Twenty minutes had gone by and I’d made out with three girls. Kinda sloppy, but I’m not one to back down. The bottle didn’t even land on Maxine once and I was beginning to think that hair band had something to do with it. And the fact that she was the one always spinning it...

Before the next spin, I stopped my hand over hers. She stared into me with a mischievous stare. “This time, I’ll spin it.” I said.

She hesitated, but she backed off. I spun it...and what do you know? “Maxine. Your turn.”

“I pick...Jake.”

I almost choked.

“What!”

She raised an eyebrow. “I pick you.”

Then it sort of made sense after about half the guys in here were either drooling, sweaty, pervy or taken. So I followed Maxine into the bathroom and stayed at the far end of the room as she locked the door. “So, what do you wanna do for seven minutes?” I asked, fiddling with a bar of soap. 

“Make out.” she said simply.

I did a double take and laughed. “Funny, Maxine, but I’m being serious.”

“So am I. Let’s make out.” she was walking towards me slowly with a daring  glaze in her eyes then I noticed what her hands were doing.  Undoing her top button...then her second...I shook my head, but it wasn't going away which meant that  this was actually happening. 

I'd backed all the way to the wall. There was no escape. “This is not funny.” 

She’d made it all the way up to me, blouse fully undone, body pressed against mine. She was soft and smelled too good. Those brown eyes did the trick. “Jake, relax, this is happening,”she purred. My heart was racing—she wasn’t drunk, she couldn’t have been; I was with her the whole time. Gosh, our lips just hung centimetres apart; I could feel her breath tickling my chin.

“Max—“

She’d sucked my bottom lip lightly and guided my hand up her flat stomach...until my instincts just took over. I kissed Maxine back. Hard.  I never thought I’d want a person so much. Hormones. We probably trashed half the bathroom, because I heard smashing and briefly saw shards of glass on the ground. She began ripping off my shirt—literally; my buttons flew everywhere—while my lips massaged her neck. I was kissing Maxine Glass, brunette beauty, and for once I wasn’t imagining it...

And then it was over. She abruptly pushed me off her and smirked, probably because I had the most annoyed face on in the world. “Time’s up, Casanova.” she said.

I was out of breath. “What?”

She started doing up her buttons. “Seven minutes is all you get.”

“So that...?”

“Was nothing.” She picked up my shirt out of the bath tub and chucked it at me. “Get dressed, stud.” She winked.

Could you imagine the confusion?

I could only wear my shirt like a jacket since and we walked out the bathroom like it was nothing. But that wasn’t nothing. Was it?

***********************************************

Interested? Should I continue?

What's Maxine doing? What's her angle? Let me know ;)