Chapter 2: Back Story

I remembered my turning like it was yesterday. Somehow, I had gotten caught up in the world of vampires. How you may ask? I'm not quite sure. It was simply as easy as one knocking right on my doorstep. Unknowingly in the body of my mother's boyfriend. Once, I had caught him snacking off of the mailman.

Afterwards, I had started talking about it with him. Of course, he had intrigued me as I had interested him. It seemed almost like the perfect world. Living forever. Never growing old. Being able to see times change, new inventions and being able to travel the world forever. It was as if it could be a dream come true. He tried warning me off of it, but I wouldn't listen.

That very afternoon he had changed me and since then, this was the way I had been. Living in secret. My very own sister didn't know. I ran strange hours, and didn't attend school very often in which my mother nagged me. It went over my head. Who needed school when they had forever? I could get to that next year.

Most of the time I didn't show because I hadn't wanted to hurt anyone. After I had killed the first couple of people, I hadn't wanted to continue. My mother's boyfriend taught me that you don't have to kill your victims if you choose. You could just have a light snack. Of course, that didn't blow over as well when I was first turned. The burning thirst in my throat was too much and I couldn't help myself.

At least that was what I told myself.

I'm not sure many could understand. The taste of blood is heavenly. It's like the feathers of an angel falling off lightly, floating down to earth, as the angel accended into heaven. I just couldn't get enough. My maker had eventually started to pull me away from my victims. It was almost that good.

Like an addiciton.

One I just couldn't get enough of. Just another taste I'd tell myself.

Afterwards I would get another scolding, and be sent on my way. Either way, he hadn't cared if I had killed them or not. What was the life to him? Meaningless. From there he had taught me how to control it and I started attending school more often, yet not when I felt the burning need. I was still cautious.

Apparently not cautious enough. As a couple months passed, I realized that strong emotions led to me wanting to feed. To this day I'm not quite sure why they were connected. I just knew that somehow they were. That day, my sister had pushed my buttons beyond my possible limit.

Before I knew it, my fangs had extended and I had bit her in the side. She may have stood a chance if I had known what I had been doing. Somehow, I enjected her with venom and it was all over for her. Her transision then started.

Which was how I got here. Currently holding down her first victim to her hunger. After killing the first few people, I could never watch them as they died. So I stared at the wall trying to ignore the fact that his body started slumping against her. Her arms wrapped around his body squeezing him tighter to her. Possibly afraid I would try and rip him away from her.

When he was dead, I picked up his limp body into my arms and carried him out the door before locking it behind me. My sister was still weak and therefore not going very far. Derek, my mother's boyfriend, was in the kitchen drinking coffee at the table smirking at me as I walked by.

"First one down eh?"

"Shut up," I muttered as I grabbed the shovel at the door.

"Maybe I'll have a little fun with her. Take her for a joy ride," Derek joked, eyes alight.

Not giving an answer, I slammed the door behind me furious. I didn't know how he could take this so lightly. My family lived in a rural part of the country. We lived near the forest where no one ventured. It was no wonder why. It was crawling with vampires of all types. The ones that had hope and the ones that didn't.

The forest was silent as if honouring his death. All I could hear was my light footfalls in the mud as I treked through the underbrush. I could see perfectly where I was going in the dark and didn't stop until I was a ways into the woods. No one would come looking here. At least I had hoped.

I dropped his dead body on the forest floor and struck the dirt with the old shovel. The earth cracked at the contact and I threw the dirt into a pile on the side until I had dug a deep enough hole. Closing my eyes, I kicked his body inside before covering him as quick as I could.

Laughter echoed in the clearing and my almost step-father came out.

"His death hurts you this much?"

"Yes! How could it not! He was still a human being. Had emotions. This man had family. Maybe a girlfriend. Possibly a wife. Now where is he?"

It was a rhetorical question but I wasn't surprised when he answered.

"In that grave. Come now son, you couldn't have forgotten already."

I gave him a small glower before grabbing the shovel and writing the number 66 over the grave. Call me crazy but I had a habit of marking the graves of the deceased. The rest would be buried here as well. I took my shovel and made my way out of the forest disgusted, for his disturbing laughter echoed within the trees, giving me a welcome of home. A welcome of what was to come. My life with a newborn vampire.

My newborn vampire.