Lydia lead me towards a sort of hall. I could tell this is where the trial was going to be held but right now I had to focus on the fact that my Grandmother was here in front of me and was about to give me my Angelic Rune of Enkeli if you know your runes. 

"Elena Herondale, daughter to Stephen and Celine Herondale, granddaughter to Imogen and Marcus Herondale do you promise to uphold the law? Follow the rules the Clave has set for all Shadowhunters?" Imogen looked me in the eyes as she spoke. 

"Yes, I Elena Herondale promise to uphold the law. Sed Lex Dura Lex, The Law is hard, but it is the Law." I could see a faint smile on her lips as she took her stele and began to brand me with the Enkeli Rune. I had chosen to have it placed on the back of my neck.  A scream bubbled in my throat but I held it back. I had to be strong and this burning pain was nothing. I could handle it. 

I gently placed my hair back down as I turned and looked at Imogen

I gently placed my hair back down as I turned and looked at Imogen. I could see a look of pride in her eyes and even a gentleness that had just barely cracked through. 

"You remind me so much of your grandfather Marcus, he would have had so much joy knowing he had a granddaughter. I've only heard great things about you and I'm glad our family lives on past its mistakes." I could only nod and faintly smile at her. Her gray eyes giving away her emotion while her face was blank. 

"I would love to get to know you more Grandmother, maybe sometime we could have tea and talk? For now, I shall leave you as you have a trial to prepare for." I was hoping she would take me up on the offer of tea. I would love to learn about my parents. 

I was still confused though I had looked up the Herondale family tree and I would have only blood matched to be a Herondale if I was truly the daughter of Stephen Herondale. Which begged the question where did my Warlock Blood come from? Who was the man who I believed to be my father? I had more questions now than I did before. 

"After the Trial, if I have time before I go back to Idris we can have that tea. I would love to know more about my Granddaughter." I nodded at her and smiled. I wanted to hug her but I wasn't sure she would be up for it. "Before you go I have a gift for you. The family ring. This one belonged to your mother. Herons in flight." I took the ring from her and slid it onto my ring finger on my left hand. It was the only finger it seemed to fit on.