New Life...New Clothes

Start from the beginning

Now, you know how a pack of rats feel.

"My, Eliasz definitely downplayed your beauty," she says in breathless awe.  "You are much prettier than I imagined.  And you definitely don't look like a streetwalker."

"Uh...thanks?" you respond hesitantly, and you wonder if that was an actual compliment or a back-handed barb.

"It was a compiment, I assure you," she continues on, taking your hands in her warm ones.  You find some comfort in the feel of her soft yet worn hands.  "Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Marija Seamons - Eliasz's mother.  And you must be the girl he is clearly smitten with."

"Mom!"  You've never seen Eli's eyes as wide as they are now.

"Oh, don't be like that.  Moms know these things.  You can't fooling anybody.  Besides, look at her!  She's a real fox!"  You can't help but blush and giggle at beging called a "fox".  You're beginning to warm to her as she cups your face in her hands.  Her smile is a brilliant and as vivid as as her coppery red hair.  "Such a sweet face - you wouldn't hurt fly, would you?  That ex of your should be so lucky that I haven't cornered him in a dark alleyway, my dear!"

"Yeah, you should be hitting him with your purse, not me!" Eli bellows.  "Just what the fuck do you have in that thing?  A sledgehammer?"

"I'll tell you what's in my purse when you tell me what's under your hat."  Eli stumbles back in embarrassment, pull down his hat even further on his head.  His mother gives you a knowing wink.  More of your tension melts away.  Yeah, she's definitely got Eli under her thumb.  "But enough of this playful banter.  Shall we go and make you beautiful, dear?"

You're so engrossed in their mother-son dynamic that you almost do not hear her speaking to you, and then you forgot that you do indeed have a voice.  "Ah, um, yeah, sure!  I guess."

"Now, remember to stay with her at all times, old lady!" Eli barks forcefully.  "That prick is still out there, so I don't want him anywhere near her."

Mrs. Seamons waves him off.  "Eli, I've got this.  I understand that she is your precious cargo, so there is no need to worry, all right?  Besides, you don't have to tell me how tense things like this are, but have you already forgotten?"

"No..."  His voice trails, and you watch as his body recoils at her question.  You wonder was that's all about, as the sight tugs at your heart.  "I haven't."

"Good.  Then you know I won't let anything happen to her.  After all, I owe you that much."

Mother and son exchange silent, pensive looks.  There is something going on between then that you don't understand, and you don't feel compared to ask about it for now.  Even if your mind were kind enough to clear itself up at this moment, you sense that it would afford you no answers. 

Mrs. Seamons tugs at your bar, pulling you to the door.  "Come on, let's get going.  We've got an appointment at eleven, and I don't want to get caught up in traffic.  You never know with this city."

"Appointment?" you begin, confused.  "We have an appointment?"

"But of course."  A wide smile spreads across her face.  "We're going to one of the most exclusive luxury shops in all of Chicago.  Of course you're going to need an appointment."

Appointment?  Exclusive luxury shop?  What?  You look over at Eli, dressed in his usual thug outfit - the same outfit you've seen him wear for several years now.  Most assuredly not an outfit you'd find in "Brooks Brothers" or even "Diesel" for that matter.

And then you look over to his mother, impeccably dressed in obviously designer clothes and carrying and even more obvious designer bag.

And as you look out into nowhere in particular, you ask yourself - Am I missing something here?