Chapter 5

Notes:
Still don't own Marvel (it's taking a while to gather funds)
It didn't take as long to write this chapter plus it's the longest one yet (almost 1800 words)
I'm still terrible at grammar.

Peter stood still for what felt like a lifetime after Tony Stark swaggered away. Peter still felt the world spinning. 'What if he recognised the voice' he had thought before playing the normal fanboy, this was Tony Stark not Iron Man though they are the same. Peter turned in a trance clutching BB-8 in his arms slowing his breathing before he returned to the lab where Emma was waiting anxiously for his return.
"What the hell happened Peter!" she yelled before looking at his face "What happened? You look like you've seen a ghost. Are you ok?"
"Yeah" Peter had replied.
"Maybe you should go home you don't look to good."
Peter laughed bitterly "It's ok, I'm ok. It's... it's just BB-8 bumped into Tony Stark." Emma turned a green colour at this piece of information.
"Oh no, please tell me he didn't take away your internship." It was sweet that she cared so much about Peter or maybe it was winning the competition or possibly both. Probably both.
"No he didn't really care that much. He was pretty nice about it." The colour rushed back into her face and she was visibly calmer and slightly confused.
"Why do you look so freaked out then? You scared me" she said while hitting him with the paper in her hands. "Oh my God you're one of those huge nerdy fanboys. Awww you just met you idol"
Peter didn't disagree because she wasn't wrong, Peter had looked up to Tony Stark long before he became Iron Man and he never stopped until recently anyway. "I'm going to try fix this, wanna help or not?"
.............
Peter and Emma worked until after everyone had left for lunch and they took it for a test drive around the lab, a much better idea than leaving it roam around in people's ways. They had it all fixed when Emma received a text from Ethan that he, Haddy and Dan were headed to a cafe around the corner for food. "They want to know if we wanna meet them for lunch."
"Sure let me grab my wallet."
The two left and squeezed into a crowded elevator going down, they were in the lobby when Peter realised he left his phone. "Damn my phones in the lab. I'll run up and grab it, I'll be back in two minutes. Go ahead without me."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive, I'll be there in five." Peter ran towards the stairwell, it was fairly quiet because most took the elevator so he could run full speed without people noticing. It was nice to not have to watch his movements and run without caring, he remembered running like this to his apartment on that fateful day and found himself slowing down to a walk.

Peter reached the lab and opened it to see a two figures standing in the room. His heart stopped for a minute before the figures turned towards him and paused.
"Hello, Peter was it?" Tony said.
"Y..ye..yes." Peter replied gobsmacked. He had come back for Peter. He'd figured it out.
"This is a friend of mine, Bruce Banner. Bruce,Peter. Peter, Bruce."
"It's an honour to meet you Dr.Banner I'm a huge fan." Peter said blushing.
The doctor stretched out his hand to Peter and Peter gladly took it. "Not to be rude but why are you here?"
"Browsing" Tony replied. "I see you fixed your droid."
"Yeah." Peter said calming himself down.
Peter saw his phone light up but ignored it and continued chatting with the two avengers. It was fifteen minutes later and after Peter had done a LOT of fanboying that he was sure he would regret later the two men left and Peter finally left for lunch.
..........
"What did you think?" Tony inquired while taking the private elevator to the living area.
"They're some talented kids." Bruce replied.
"I didn't mean that, I meant the kid, Peter. There's something off about him, he seems terrified like he's hiding something from us."
"I think what you were sensing was an anxious teen in a room with Iron Man and the Hulk."
"Point taken."
"He seemed like a sweet kid. It's been a while since someone saw me as Dr. Banner not a green rage monster."
"Yeah all those questions about your books. Half of my workers can't understand them but that sixteen year old did, he's got a bright future for sure."
............
Peter was just about to turn the corner to the cafe when his friends bumped into him.
"There you are, we thought you were lost" said Dan.
"We were about to send a search party"  Haddy continued.
"Sorry, I got held up" Peter replied.
"It's ok but there's only ten minutes left of lunch and we were heading back." Ethan stated.
"You guys go ahead I need some alone time." Peter said.
"Are you sure? I don't mind coming with you." Emma responded kindly.
"I'm sure, see you in a little bit."

The group headed in the opposite direction and Peter continued to the cafe where they were building an awning out the front. There were 2 men  on one side of the steel frame and 3 on the other. The side furthest from Peter seemed to be lifted easily despite only having two men lifting it. One of the men was blond, tall and buff while the other who was probably just as buff he had shoulder length brown hair and... was that a metal arm? Awesome! Peter was walking past the three struggling men and into the shop when his spider-sense started buzzing, he turned to the steel frame, saw it falling and grabbed onto it before it fell.
"Good reaction time" the blond man smiled.
"Thanks" Peter replied.
"Think you can help us get this up. It won't take long."
"Sure" Peter adjusted his grip and used his strength to help fix the steel in place. Where had he seen those faces. Peter pushed it to the back of his mind and continued to help but holding back so that his super strength wasn't too obvious. Once they had finished the blond man walk towards Peter.
"You did good son, thanks for the help not all you youngsters would help. What were you going to buy?"
"I was getting lunch." Peter replied.
"Let me get it for you, my treat." It was at that moment that Peter realised who he was speaking to, it was Captain America it was hard to tell without the shield and costume but up close it was very obvious. He also recognised the man with the Captain, he had been all over the news a while back for an explosion which had killed the King of Wakanda but those charges were dropped. Peter suddenly felt extremely sick.
"Listen I've got to go. I'm super busy, it was nice meeting you."
"Are you ok? You don't look too good." The captain asked.
"I'm fine, I just have somewhere to be." Peter said and before Peter knew it his feet were moving towards the tower.
.............
Steve Rogers arrived to the living area of avengers tower still slightly confused about the encounter he just had, the kid was fine one minute then the next he was completely freaked. Bucky had agreed that the kid was acting strange. Bucky had left him to go to the gym while Steve went to grab some water. Steve walked into the living room to see Tony sprawled across the couch and a background check of the boy he had just met. "Tony, were you spying on me?"
"What? Why would I spy on you and your bestie doing kind deeds?"
"Then why do you have a picture of the kid I just met?"
"You met Peter Parker?" Tony said sitting up.
"Is that his name? He ran before I could ask."
Tony let out a snicker before speaking "He ran from you? From Captain America?"
"Yeah one minute he was fine and the next he was gone. Why are you doing a background check?"
"I don't know he had the same reaction when I bumped into him. I just saw fear in his face. He looked like he was more scared of me then the Hulk. Something's off."
"When did you meet him?"
"He's part of a teenage internship program in the tower."
"So he's smart, what else did you find?"
"A lot actually, Peter Benjamin Parker, near perfect grades though there's been two times where there's been a drop: a small and a large, only gotten detention once, part of the decathlon team." Tony sighed sorrowfully before continuing "No living family."
Steve took a breath before speaking "what happened?"
"His parents were scientists whose plane went down when Peter was a kid, he was taken in by his aunt and uncle. His uncle got shot over two years ago leaving him with his aunt who also got shot in a robbery gone wrong only a couple months back."
"The kids seen so much loss in such a short time."
"Yeah that's not it, remember the police chief's daughter?"
"Gwen Stacy she was taken by The Green Goblin and killed."
"Yeah, guess whose girlfriend that was? Peter's girlfriend is the answer. Another trivia question guess who was one of Peter's best friends? Harry Osborn, the goblin's kid."
"Shit." Steve said running a hand through his head "maybe we judged him too harshly."
"Maybe he blames the avengers for not stopping the goblin." Tony said obviously feeling guilty.
"Can you blame him? Instead of stopping Norman Osborn we were fighting each other." Steve paused before continuing "I'm going to blow off steam with Bucky in the gym. We'll talk about this later."
Tony was left alone looking at Peter Parker's school photo. This kid had already been through enough so Tony made the decision to leave the kid alone and not add to his grief.
.............
It was dark, the lights were poor quality and there was a smell of mould in this sad excuse for a lab. Norman Osborn sat trying to recreate his glider which proved to be a more difficult task than he had originally thought due to his lack of resources. He was interrupted by a Hydra officer who barged in. "Did you get what I need?" Norman asked. There was no response only a bag dropped in front of him. "News of my son?" Norman asked.
"In Seattle at his new school."
"What about Spider-Man?"
"Still no news. How long till you're done?"
"Maybe if I had better resources I'd be faster." Norman snapped.
"Work faster and watch you're tongue." With those words of warning the man left.
............
Notes:
Not much happened but having Peter know the avengers is vital to the story and I'm slowing bringing our baddies in.
Thanks for all the support! See you next time.