Ch. 2.1 RenFests and Dragons

Start from the beginning

Alex quickly turned the swing into a side slice, but her opponent danced out of range.

This guy is good. Should I worry? Not a lot, this is a RenFest, but is that nick on my arm some kind of warning?

Failing brawn, Alex herded her opponent backwards, for she had studied the terrain of the 'battleground'.  He fell into the dip as Alex planned.

She crushed her heel down on his wrist. The second he lost his grip on his sword, she kicked it away.

"Take off the helmet, jerk, or I'll return the favor of spilled blood." Alex put the sword to his throat.

He started the serious stuff.                                                                                                        "You don't want me to take this off in front of all these people," Rile's voice sifted tinnily through the helmet. "Just in case."

Alex stifled shouting his name, but before she could react further, Jason ran up. He flung off his own helmet in a fury.

"Who do you think you are drawing blood at a RenFest, bastard?" Jason shouted.

Rile jumped up a split second before Jason threw down on him.

"Jason, don't. It's okay. He's done it before," Alex said without thinking.

Rile nimbly avoided Jason's fist and front rising kick. He stood in a defensive posture, fists up.

"You enjoy hurting women? Or just Alex?" Jason's shout rose even further. "Take off that helmet and we're going outside the RenFest, you sick—"

"Jason, I meant he's my sparring partner." Alex found herself in the strange position of holding back a human male for his protection.

Ick.

When Jason looked at her, she grinned a lopsided grin and said, "You really are a knight in shining armor, aren't you?"

Jason relaxed enough for Alex to push him back a few steps. Rile stayed where he was, fists up.

"If it makes you feel better, he'll answer to my boyfriend, his older brother." Alex turned her head to Rile. "Won't you, darlin'?"

Rile knew he was in trouble when Alex's Southern accent slipped through.

Alex released Jason and flicked her head at Rile. "Come."

"I don't feel comfortable letting you leave with him." Jason caught her arm and pointedly stared at her bleeding wound.

"I'll be fine, o' shining knight. He really is my sparring partner and he really will catch it from my boyfriend, his brother. I'll visit the first aide station. It's only a flesh wound," Alex said the last sentence in a Monty Python voice and then rushed away, taking Rile with her."Where did you get that helmet?"

"Rented it. Let's see the Dead Ted show. It sounded funny," Rile said.

"You are in so much trouble and you want to see a comedy routine?" Alex asked.

"I'm always in trouble with Gabe. Not important. Let's find first aide."

"Are you always in trouble with me?"

The helmeted face turned to consider her. "Can I be?" Rile asked.

Alex knew that she had lost this round and made her way to the first aide station. Once bandaged, they made their way to the stage that Rile wanted. He was amused by the ventriloquist and Alex hated to admit to him that she enjoyed it.