Epilogue

EPILOGUE

{February 3, 2016 -- Present Day}

W A K A N D A

Bucky and I hold hands as we make our way from the guest room T'Challa provided us to the laboratory where Princess Shuri has the cryogenic equipment set up. The Princess and her older brother, now King T'Challa, have been more than accommodating. We've been as comfortable as anyone could be when they've fled their country. Not only have they given us a place to stay and a way to survive, but they've taken it upon themselves to help us get better. Shuri is trying to figure out a way to both reboot Bucky's brain, erasing any residue of HYDRA, and cure my immortality.

Until then, we've decided to go with the safest plan for everyone: going under the ice.

Bucky's hand tightens around mine as we enter Shuri's lab. She grins at us from across the room. "Good morning, you two!" she greets. "Take a seat anywhere you like. We're just going to do a few last minute tests to ensure you're both fit enough to go under."

We nod and take a seat beside each other on one of the operating tables. Bucky chuckles when my feet don't touch the ground, and I roll my eyes. I can tell he's nervous. Being put back under probably brings up some not-so-happy memories as an asset of HYDRA, ones where his mind was wiped and his body was frozen over and over again. I grab his hand again, holding it tightly.

One of Shuri's assistant's, probably a nurse, walks over to us with two intravenous bags in tow. He hangs each of the liquid-filled bags on a pole, then inserts the I.V. into our arms.

"This is a fluid to help your cells stay strong during freezing," he explains. "It won't hurt."

A few minutes after the I.V.s are inserted, Steve wanders into the lab, followed closely by Grant and Natasha. Steve gives a passing glance at the cryo-chambers, then turns to Bucky and I with a smile.

"You two sure about this?" he asks, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"I can't trust my own mind," Bucky replies with a sad smile. His eyes flicker back to the cryo-chambers. "So, until they figure out how to get this stuff outta my head, I think going back under is the best thing. For everybody."

Steve's smile fades, but he nods understandingly. He turns his attention to me. "Same with you?"

I nod, leaning onto Bucky's shoulder. "I can't live a life that has no end, Steve. I've already lived longer than most. It's time we reverse it. I want--need--to be normal again. You're aging. So are Grant and Bucky." I look up at the brunet beside me.

"Shuri says I'm around thirty-one or thirty-two, physically," Bucky states. "She says I probably spent a total of five years out of stasis."

"I can't be twenty-five forever," I sigh. "I won't let any more than six or seven years separate us. I can't outlive anyone else I love."

Princess Shuri walks over to us. "We're almost ready."

"Give us a second?" Bucky asks softly.

Shuri nods, her eyes understanding. She turns and walks back over to her station, leaving us to say goodbye.

I hop down from the table, opening my arms out for Grant. He moves into them instinctively, burying his face into my shoulder like he always does. I can tell he's sad, but he's not to the point of tears. He knows we'll be back soon, that I'm not really gone.

"You going to be all right?" I ask, running my hands through his black locks.

He sniffs and nods, his grip tightening. "I'm gonna miss you, Mom. Too much to say without sounding like a big baby."