"Here's a chance to finally take control of my life...These cliffs...B...bu...," he burped again, "but I'm too scared, too anxious. Just like always."

"Shane, please. I know what it's like to be anxious, but there's a better way to take control of your life than these cliffs."

"(Y/N)...All I do is work, sleep, and drink...t...to dull the feelings of self-hatred... Why should I even go on? Tell me...T...Tell me why I shouldn't roll off this cliff right now." you were tightly holding on to both of his hands now.

"Shane..." a million thoughts were flooding your mind, "The decision is your own. Just know that I'm here for you."

....

"Thanks...I appreciate that... I really do."

....

"(Y/N)...I think you should take me to the hospital now..."

You lifted him and carried him to the clinic with all the strength you had. You had stopped crying. Focused on keeping Shane alive.

As you arrived, Harvey and Maru helped you take him in and lie him down on one of the beds. Harvey told you to wait at the entrance. You sat on the chair. Quiet. Alone. Shaking. I can't breathe.

...

"Mom! I'm going to work! I have a meeting. Did you take your medication?"

....silence

"Mom? Where are you?"

...panic

"Mom?!"

...shaking hand on the cold doorknob...

"Please..."

...pale skin...

...bloody fingertips...

...a rope around limp neck...

...dry saliva on chin...

...cloudy, hollow eyes...

blank and limp and broken and deadeadeadeadeadead....im useless let her die my fault alone i couldnt do anything fucking useless

....

"(Y/N)?" Harvey was calling your name, but you could barely hear him. Nails digging into your palms, head down, facing your lap. "Shh...it's okay, (Y/N). Shane is going to be okay. I've pumped his stomach and rehydrated his body...He's going to be okay. You did a good thing." Your quick breathing turned into hard sobbing. "You did good brining him here. It's okay now. Take a deep breath."

After some time, you managed to calm down. Your breathing returning to normal. Maru brought you some water that you took sips of. You felt embarrassed at having had an anxiety attack in front of Harvey and Maru, but your mind shifted to Shane.

"Is he really okay?"

"Yes, he'll be fine. Right now...I'm most worried about his mental health. When he comes to, I'll have a chat with him about his treatment options. I know an excellent counselor in Zuzu City."

"Thank you so much for helping him."

"Yes. No need to thank me. Life can be painful sometimes. But there's always hope for a better future. You've got to believe in that."

"Can I stay with him?"

"He'll be here for the rest of the night. You should go home and get some rest. I know this has been a very stressful day for you. I've called someone to take you home."

"Oh? But I'd really..."

"I insist, (Y/N). You've been running around wet in the cold. Shane wouldn't want you to get sick either."

"Okay..." you shuffled your feet on the light blue tile floor.

The door suddenly opened.

"Come on, (Y/N). Time to go home." Sebastian handed you a black jacket and put his arm around you.

"Please take care of him..." you said looking back with desperate eyes.

"Don't worry. I will." Harvey waved goodbye at you.

Sebastian led you out of there. The rain had stopped, but the air had turned colder.

"Thank you for the jacket." you said quietly.

He didn't say anything, but his arm wrapped tighter around you.

At the door of your house he said, "I'm coming in, okay?"

"Huh? Oh, okay." you were distracted.

Sebastian gently sat you on your bed and pulled the comforter on you. He moved towards the fireplace and started a fire.

"Where do you keep your teas?"

"In that cabinet over there." you pointed.

He heated some water in a kettle while he crushed some leaves on your mortar and pestle. You looked out the window into the darkness.

"Here. Drink it while it's hot." he sat on the edge of the bed.

"Echinacea?"

"Yea. The doctor said it'd be good for your immune system. I also added some Valerian to calm you down."

"You're so kind." you said looking down at the herb water.

"I'm not gonna ask any questions because I'm sure you don't wanna talk about it right now...but I'm staying here with you." he blushed and sat up, pulling up a chair besides your bed.

"You really don't have to. It's late...you should..."

"I'm staying. I'm not leaving you alone." he sat on the chair.

"Thank you, Sebastian. For everything." you gave a small smile, but your thoughts were still elsewhere.