the Daily Gazelle

Start from the beginning

Probably because I never got a newspaper.

"What issue were you looking for?"

I thought. I had no real idea what issue.

"I don't know. Somewhere in the early to mid 50s. A car accident, where two teenagers got killed."

"Harold Parsons and Calvin Nestor. August 7, 1954."

Harolds last name was the same as his sisters.

But she had married.

I shook my head. There had to be a story there somewhere.

And how the hell did Betty know the exact day and the names of the the two teenagers.

And why was there a rat on the desk.

"It was quite a story back in the day. The biggest event since the disappearance of Fluttering Hummingbird von Curtainbach and the death of her husband, Erich."

She passed me a paper.

"It all happened around the same time. Kept the paper pretty thick for a while back then."

I opened the two page paper.

"It was usually just one page," Betty explained, pushing back her glasses.

She is flipping me off.

"The back was usually a picture for people to colour."

I started reading.

Tragedy at Pristine Lake

Two young boys cut down in the prime of their lives. Two teenagers with their whole life ahead of them, struck down by an evil twist of fate.

Harold Parsons (17) and Calvin Nestor (also 17) were both killed today in what looked like a murder suicide.

Calvin's (17) body was found on Pristine Lake Road, near a sharp bend in the road. He had been viciously struck and run over by what appeared to be a car driven by suspected murderer, Harold Parsons (also 17).

Harold (17) was found dead at the wheel of his souped up English model MT GD sports coupe. This right hand drive, hotrod could reach amazing speeds of over 100 miles per hour and by the looks of the damage to the car, Harold (17) had been doing speeds somewhere in the vicinity of that speed.

Harold (17) had lost control of the car on the dirt road after murdering Calvin (also 17), left the road, went over a bank and crashed into a large tree. Oak I think, or it might have been a fir.

The tree had to be cut down because of the damage done by the savage impact of the souped up, English sport coupe deathtrap.

Sheriff Raptor J. Simpson issued this statement ...

"It appears that Harold (17) had been enjoying a leisurely Sunday drive around Pristine Lake, like so many young people do. He was probably headed to Pristine Lake Beach to join the other teenagers (from 14 - 18) there who were swimming and enjoying a picnic, unaware that two of their schoolmates had died from a tragic accident.

In my professional opinion, Harold (17) was blinded by the sun, as he took a sharp turn in the road and did not see Calvin (also 17), standing in the road. At the last possible second, I believe, he caught glimpse of Calvin (17 at the time) and swerved to avoid him, but he was to late. He hit Calvin (dead at 17) and then lost control of the car.

He left the road and eventually crashed the car into a tree (which had to be cut down). It appears that Harold (also dead at 17) hit his head on the steering wheel and died immediately.

This was a tragic accident and a community is saddened.

In this reporter's professional opinion, there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Peabody J. Snapcrotch

(Editor / Reporter ... the Daily Gazelle)

I put down the paper.

"But what about Ethel Sueann (17)?" I wondered aloud.